Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- my name is Trisha and I am the proud owner of Benny who we just adopted on Monday. I have a few questions and need some advice...so I will start from the beginning.

Our family has been looking to adopt a dog for about a month now and I was searching PetFinder, Craig's List, and Hoobly...as well as visiting local animal shelters for dogs that needed a new home. I found a few I fell in love with, but when I went to go visit them, they were already adopted.
Last Sunday I did my daily searching on all my websites and I was just getting ready to shut off the computer when I decided to quick check out Hoobly. And wouldn't you know...I log on and 16 minutes earlier Benny was posted! The ad said he was a YorkiePoo...which was perfect because both my daughter and husband have allergies...so I emailed the lady right away and ask her a million questions. She tells me he will be 2 years old May 4th and that he is completely house trained and has never had any accidents in the house, even though he is not neutered and that she has only had him for a week and cannot keep him because her other male does not like Benny. From what she told me and from his picture...I was in love! Monday my oldest daughter (who is 6) and my sister traveled 3 hours to meet Benny...and I adopted him. We drove another 3 hours back - and he did GREAT in the van!!

Here is where the story takes a couple of twists and turns and I have questions :)

Since I brought him home, he has not eaten the dog food I bought him...which is the same brand he ate at his last home. We had a vet visit on Tuesday and I told the vet that he was not eating or really drinking any water and she reassured me that it was normal for a dog to be shook up and not eat and drink for a couple of days. Well, it is now Sunday and he STILL will not eat his dry dog food. I ended up buying some Purina Beneful meals and feed him HALF of one container...and he barely eats all of that in one day and doesn't drink as much water as I think he should be. We went for a walk the other day and I expected him to come back and drink the whole bowl full of water...nope...didn't take one drink. We have a follow up appointment with the vet on Monday, so I will talk to her then, but I am still very worried.
And when I first got him, I gave him milk bone treats and now he won't even eat those.
Also, since I have had him, he has only pooped 3 times. I'm not sure if dogs are supposed to poop once a day or what, but in the last 6 days, he has only gone 3 times.
All of his blood work is great and he doesn't have worms, so he is healthy...and the vet told me that based on all of the tartar build up on his teeth, he seemed more like 3 or 4 years old...not 2 as the lady told me.

Benny has been a WONDERFUL dog and I cannot say enough about him and how great he is. On day one...and till this day, he sleeps in bed with me and has no accidents at all. My husband works third shift, so Benny is my bed buddy :) He has NEVER gone to the bathroom in the house either and he tells me when he has to go outside, which is GREAT seeing how he is still "new" to the house.

Ok, if you have made it through this far of the reading, I want to say thank you for caring and attempting to help me out lol.

Here is where my questions and concerns come into play.

The lady I got him from said that she had only had him for about a week and that he was a YorkiePoo. Well, I had looked at her profile on Hoobly again tonight and saw that she had a Chi-Poo puppy for sale and saw that the mom of the puppy looked JUST LIKE my Benny!! And, I quote directly from her ad, "dad 5lbs chihuahua, mom 4lb toy poodle. Past pups have grown to look just like yorkipoos and this guy will too"
This makes me wonder if he is really a Chihuahua/Poodle Mix and not a Yorkie/Poodle Mix. Now, don't get me wrong...I really don't care what he is because I love him so much already, but for health reasons, I feel that it is important to know what breed he is. Also, it makes me wonder if she lied about having him for only a week and had him for however old he is and wanted to breed him and couldn't. I looked on another website that has pictures of a Chi-Poo and it looked just like my Benny...before his haircut.

As I stated before, he is fully house broken, but I noticed that when he tries to jump on our couch, bed, or our laps, it taps him about 20 jumps to get on whatever he wants to sit on. My husband thinks that Benny was in a cage for a lengthy period of time and isn't used to being able to jump high. Which does make sense...but if he was crated all the time, he wouldn't be housebroken, would he?
Also, we noticed that he is VERY skittish...almost like someone has hurt him in the past. When you bend down to pet him, he cowers like he has been struck in the past...and his eyes look so very sad that it breaks my heart. He has really open up to me and follows me everywhere...he is my little shadow!!

I know it is hard to tell from pictures, but if anyone can take a stab at what he is...either a YorkiePoo or Chi-Poo, I would greatly appreciate any feedback...as well as on why he isn't really eating or drinking. I can understand why he is not that playful because he is still scared, but you would think he would be hungry/thirsty.

Thanks to all that read this long novel!!

The pictures below are of Benny BEFORE his haircut :)

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a picture of the poodle mom of the Chi-Poo the lady that I got Benny from has for sale. Doesn't Benny look ALOT like her?

The Chihuahua COULD be Benny's dad...but that is harder to tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...last picture. This is a picture I found of a Chi-Poo that someone has and I think Benny looked VERY similar to this dog before he was groomed.

Thoughts and opinions VERY welcome!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Try soaking his food in warm water instead of feeding it dry....that releases the aroma and flavor which should spur his appetitie. That will help with his water intake.
Puppies don't jump very well because their cooridination and muscles are still developing. Stairs can be a challenge for them as that takes alot of cooridination skills.
Puppies are naturally skittish....everything is a potential threat and that's why socialization is so important at this early age. Building confidence and trust is a daily exercise for several months to come especially through the fear periods....for some dogs, it may be years. Play doesn't always come naturally...most dogs have to be taught how to play and what to play with
Now is a great time to enroll in Puppy Kindergarten.....Congrats on your new pup!

·
Registered
31 Posts
He is sooo cute DragonDustt. I am sorry, I don't know what breed he is, but the poodle part seems for sure...
When my little pup came to us too, he didn't eat very much either. I was really worried about him. He is naturally small since he is a toy poodle but he ate barely 1/4 cup of kibble a day! and very little water. Well, it's been about 4 weeks now and he eats much, much better - 3 healthy servings of kibble. I know a lot of people will cringe, but my pup never really seem to like kibble. So, I coax him with a quarter size piece of boiled chicken diced up (less than an once). Including that has made a huge difference for us. I feel okay about doing it but I know not everyone will like that idea.

I think he is scared, unsure and probably went through a lot. I would just be loving and consistent and give him time to relax into his new home. Set down his food each time, build a routine, encourage him and see what he does. Good luck to you and congrats on adopting your new dog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi TooneyDogs -- We were told he would be 2 years old on My 4th, but the vet said based on all of the tartar on his teeth, he looked more along the lines of 3 or 4 years old...so he isn't a puppy.
He does GREAT on the stairs...it's just when he goes to jump on something, it takes him about 15 tries to get up.

Try soaking his food in warm water instead of feeding it dry....that releases the aroma and flavor which should spur his appetitie. That will help with his water intake.
Puppies don't jump very well because their cooridination and muscles are still developing. Stairs can be a challenge for them as that takes alot of cooridination skills.
Puppies are naturally skittish....everything is a potential threat and that's why socialization is so important at this early age. Building confidence and trust is a daily exercise for several months to come especially through the fear periods....for some dogs, it may be years. Play doesn't always come naturally...most dogs have to be taught how to play and what to play with
Now is a great time to enroll in Puppy Kindergarten.....Congrats on your new pup!
I emailed the person I got him from and asked if he was a Chi-Poo or YorkiePoo...this was her response:

"I only had Benny for about 2 weeks. I would never deceive anyone! Our toy poodle is the same age as Benny! Yes, we bred her to our chihuahua one other time and their puppies look just like yorkipoos, the black and tan ones! Benny's previous owner bought him in Florida. That is all I know about him. I feel a bit offended that you even asked me this."

I never meant to offend her...I just saw that she had an ad for a chi-poo and the picture of the mama poodle looked so much like Benny, that I just wanted to ask her if she was a chi-poo or yorkie-poo

·
Registered
30 Posts
The lady I got him from said that she had only had him for about a week and that he was a YorkiePoo. Well, I had looked at her profile on Hoobly again tonight and saw that she had a Chi-Poo puppy for sale and saw that the mom of the puppy looked JUST LIKE my Benny!! And, I quote directly from her ad, "dad 5lbs chihuahua, mom 4lb toy poodle. Past pups have grown to look just like yorkipoos and this guy will too"
This makes me wonder if he is really a Chihuahua/Poodle Mix and not a Yorkie/Poodle Mix. Now, don't get me wrong...I really don't care what he is because I love him so much already, but for health reasons, I feel that it is important to know what breed he is. Also, it makes me wonder if she lied about having him for only a week and had him for however old he is and wanted to breed him and couldn't. I looked on another website that has pictures of a Chi-Poo and it looked just like my Benny...before his haircut.

As I stated before, he is fully house broken, but I noticed that when he tries to jump on our couch, bed, or our laps, it taps him about 20 jumps to get on whatever he wants to sit on. My husband thinks that Benny was in a cage for a lengthy period of time and isn't used to being able to jump high. Which does make sense...but if he was crated all the time, he wouldn't be housebroken, would he?
Also, we noticed that he is VERY skittish...almost like someone has hurt him in the past. When you bend down to pet him, he cowers like he has been struck in the past...and his eyes look so very sad that it breaks my heart.
It sure sounds like you might have bought Benny from a dishonest, or at the very least clueless, con artist. My advice to you would be to make sure you get Benny thoroughly looked over by a vet, and other than that do what you're doing-- love on that dog and make him feel as comfortable as he can. If he did come from an abusive situation (which sounds likely), it may take him longer than other dogs to feel situated. That might explain the eating habits.

Keep it up, and make sure he gets a clean bill of health-- and maybe leave a comment on that "breeder" to warn others!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually brought him to the vet the day after I got him and he did get a clean bill of health :) I actually bring him back tomorrow for his rabies shot, so I will discuss his non eating/drinking habits too.

thanks so much :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
It took mine well over a week to start eating out of his bowl. And even longer to finish a whole meal, which he just started doing. I started hand feeding him some next to his bowl so he's start to get the idea of where it was. Then I started putting it down, and giving him 20 minutes to eat. Then I'd pick it up. He eventually got the hint that he had to finish it then or it wouldn't be there later. Now he empties it. If they vet says he's healthy, he'll come around on his own. He won't starve himself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello,
Same here - it took my young pup to start eating well after a week of feedings. I've tried wet food, dry food, combos and high quality food. After a while, she started to eat the high quality dry well.

As for poop - I wouldn't worry about it because if a dog has been eating well, he will poop more often. Since you said that he hasn't eaten well, it makes sense that he would poop and pee less. You can't poop out if you don't have anything in. Make sense?

I agree with the above posters - have him thoroughly checked out, including a full mouth examination (if possible, sounds like your dog is calm enough to allow a full dental check). With that much tartar build up, you cannot see the underlying problems on the teeth. Perhaps there's one tooth that looks bad and hurts, hence why he may not be eating as well.

If you can invest, you can try to find a canine certified behavorist to tell you whether your dog has been hit/abused (lets hope that was not the case).

I don't know why the lady that sold you that dog would feel offended. I know I wouldn't. You just wanted to clarify the pedigree, what's the big deal?

Enjoy your dog, he looks soo handsome in his new cut!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts