Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2 year old Spaniel and a 7 month old puppy. Is it okay for him to eat adult food? Okay, well I live in California and if you have been watching the news you guys know that we're broke, so I'm on a budget right now. I'm currently feeding them Nutro Max is that a good brand or can I do better? The max I can waste on food right now is about $35 can I do better or should I stick to that food?

·
Registered
281 Posts
It would probably help people to know what size dogs you have to help with your budget...I have a small dog and I feed him Natures Variety Chicken witch is $12 for a 4lb bag

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You have a Great Dane, a 2 year old Spaniel, a puppy and you're getting another small dog? :confused: Okay... anyway, I would check out Maxximum, Authority, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Kirkland and Premium Edge. They're decent foods that are affordably priced.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes you can feed them Adult Food.....and I've heard that Food is good --- my neighbor feeds her German Shepard that brand & he's a great dog & doing well.

I feed my guy www.bluebuff.com -- Blue Buffalo Dry Food -- also good & he's thriving on it!:)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Okay, well I live in California and if you have been watching the news you guys know that we're broke, so I'm on a budget right now. I'm currently feeding them Nutro Max is that a good brand or can I do better? The max I can waste on food right now is about $35 can I do better or should I stick to that food?
First, I'm sure the whole state of CA is not broke. Alot of people around the country are on budgets. Nutro Max is not a good food IMO and yes you can do better. I know you said you're broke but since you feel you can't "waste" any more money on food, you may as well keep them on it
(sarcasm IS intended).

·
Registered
509 Posts
InkedMarie why the sarcasm?:(

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
InkedMarie why the sarcasm?:(
Sometimes, I hate seeing what people say on board/forums/lists. The OP is talking about dog food but seems to view it as a "waste" (her words, not mine, were "the max I can waste on food right now"), not something important. She did come to ask here so I guess that's something. There was someone on one of these forums right here, where someone kept calling their dog "IT". If someone calls their dog an "it", they don't deserve a pet, IMO of course. On a list I'm on, someone posted about a friend of theirs who has had to euthanize a few dogs over the last few years, yet she kept saying "she killed the dog". I guess certain things just *get* to me, certain words, or phrases.

·
Registered
509 Posts
:)I know what you mean InkedMarie....I love dogs too:)

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
You have a Great Dane, a 2 year old Spaniel, a puppy and you're getting another small dog? :confused: Okay... anyway, I would check out Maxximum, Authority, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Kirkland and Premium Edge. They're decent foods that are affordably priced.
You have a Great Dane :confused:?
Anyways since you asked....
check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com. You can search the reviews for brands and see how good they are out of 6 stars I believe.
I know Kirkland which you get at Costco is a little bit better than Nutra Max and is about $25 for 40lb depending on which "formula".

In short, good dry food has meat as the first ingredient on the ingredient list and great food usually have meats as the first two ingredients.

Also consider spending "more money" and buying better food for your dogs. They are more nutritious and so you can feed less which balance out the cost per bag ;). Plus keeps your pet healthier so less vet bills.

As for the puppy, I've heard both arguments for and against adult food. 7 months is still pretty young so I would give your vet a call and ask their suggestion, they can probably tell you over the phone for free. Mine would anyway.
I think, and I may be wrong, that in general for small breeds, adult food might be alright. Growth spurts in large breeds can lead to joint and bone problems.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The OP mentioned in another thread of hers that she also has a Great Dane and is getting a new small dog soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts