Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and I have two wonderful (well, mostly wonderful) dogs, Jasper and Buttercup. :)

They are purebreds but they don't look like it. Lol. Jasper's breeder gave him to a small rescue because he wasn't selling quick enough and Buttercup was purchased from a breeder and then given away online because she didn't have the right look. Sad, but I'm lucky to have them.
Jasper is 1 year old and Buttercup is almost 8 months old.

Just for fun, let's see if you can guess the breeds! :)

Jasper is an AKC recognized breed. He's 11 lbs.

When I first brought him home.

Now.

Buttercup might be trickier. She's "registered" but not with the AKC. Her breed is not recognized by the AKC. She's about 50 lbs right now at 8 months old.

Just for fun! Can you guess what my "purebreds" are?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I cant place Jasper but know Buttercup is a bully breed/ mastiff breed?. I was going to say Boxer but she doesn't look "boxery".

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buttercup is a bully breed. Thanks for saying that she doesn't look "boxery"! Lol. We've actually only had her for about a month and we've already had two different strangers come up to us asking if we wanted to breed her with their Boxers.

Jasper is an actual AKC recognized breed but he has a genetic flaw that causes him to look "funny".

This might be too hard. Lol.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Is buttercup an American bulldog? It's going to bug me all night till I find out what breed Jasper is,lol. Off to look at more dogs.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Can you give hints for Jasper? terrier? Sporting dog? Herding?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, Buttercup is not an AB....but here's a clue. Her breed's foundation is said to be a mix of English bulldog, American Bulldog, American Pit Bull Terrier, and Bullmastiff. Like I said, it may be hard because she's not an AKC recognized breed. Her "breed" was created in the 1970's and is supposedly a "recreation" of an old extinct breed.

According to the AKC, Jasper is in the Toy group.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Woohoo! I love Olde English Bulldogges, was the first thing I thought of when I saw her, actually.

Still stumped on your other pup, but I'll through a guess of Pomeranian out there. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I feel dumb now,lol. I awlays thought English bulldog and Old english bulldog was the same dog,haha!! Jaspers breed is bugging the freak out of me, though!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the OEBs too. Supposedly Buttercup will beef up and get more "bulldoggy" as she gets older...who knows? We love her anyway!

Jasper is not a Pom. :)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Hm, I'll guess papillon (phalene) for jasper, although he looks too thick/stocky to be correct and he's lacking fringe. He doesn't resemble anything else in the toy group, though. If not that, one of the other spaniels with a longer snout? He looks spaniel-y to me, anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not Papillon either! :)

It's tricky because he looks VERY different than his breed standard. His "fault" is a major one that makes him look like a completely different breed. It's not a super common breed either, but unfortunately getting more popular. I knew of the breed but had never heard of a puppy turning out like Jasper until I googled it.

If you want me to just tell you I will. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Just say it!! I stayed up late last night looking at the dog breed list the AKC has on their site,lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK!! Jasper is............*drumroll*

A Havanese! Lol. Of the rare "short hair" variety. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know. I usually don't even tell people what breed he is because they don't want to hear my big long explanation of why he looks so funny.

He's perfect for us though because we don't have to worry about all that grooming. :) He's also very, very good with our kids. He is shy around strangers but really shines around children.

The short hairs will pop up in a litter every so often if both parents carry the recessive short hair gene.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Haha, havanese was actually going to be my next guess... there's not much to choose from in the toy group and some of them were definite nos. I think he's cute.

(Also, I hate dogbreedinfo because they're full of crap on many issues, but they have some cute pics of more short-coated Havanese here. There are more here.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts