Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! :wave:

Can we teach to an old dog (12 years) to pee outside? Is it too late?? :confused:

Thank you for your answers :wink:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Of course it isn't too late! You house break and old dog the exact same way that you house break a puppy. I take them out frequently, about every hour, and when they go potty outside, they get treats and praise. When I am in the house, they are tethered to me with a leash so they can't sneak off and potty in the house, or they are crated if I can't be directly supervising them. If they somehow do manage to potty in the house, they go outside, and I clean it up - no punishment.

I have an old beagle that had no problem with house breaking. In his case, he is partially incontinent (he dribbles and isn't aware of it), so we use belly bands to keep the house clean, but when he really needs to go, he goes to the door.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My first dog was 8 when I got her. She had lived in an out door kennel her whole life before me.

She actually came into the house house-trained. Never had a single accident. Preferred going outside. I just had to make sure I took her out frequently at first. Good luck! I hope your experience is as easy as mine!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Inside or out? Mine mark outside. Not in the house. It still all comes down to house-training. Take them out. Supervise closely. Very do-able. I have fostered a ton of dogs. They all need about the same ritual and they all get dependably house-trained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts