Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or another instance of: Which dog is the best for us?

--

Me and my partner have been talking more and more about getting a dog. The problem is, we seemingly cannot agree on exactly which kind of dog we'd like to get.

Here are some of the guidelines we CAN and have agreed on:

- No larger than 70cm, at most.
- Not heavier than 50kg (100 lbs).
- Easy to medium-easy training (needs to be well versed on all the basic commands and obey them happily).
- Fairly easy grooming.

- MUST be good/decent with cats (we are rehoming some of the kittens, but there will still be cats about here).

- Our house is SMALL, but I am home 24/7 and looking to take the dog 3-4 hours out for walks in the woods around here.

Another issue is that my partner is hell bent on not getting a shelter dog, but one from a breeder, and the only breeds he enjoys are 'squash faced', which I am so-so about... definitely not my favourites, looks-wise, but I am willing to compromise.

What do you all think? Suggestions? So far the only breeds we could agree on (looks-wise) are the bull terrier, which is really not appropriate for households with cats (or so I hear) and the bull mastiff...

·
Registered
206 Posts
IMO a golden retriever :), especially if you're a first dog owner. Bull terriers are IMO not good for an inexperienced future owner.

Before getting a dog do read about its temperament, is it right for you etc. - don't get it just because of its looks.

Edit: From some bull terrier site:
Ease of training is not a trait of the Bull Terrier, quite the contrary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMO a golden retriever :), especially if you're a first dog owner. Bull terriers are IMO not good for an inexperienced future owner.

Before getting a dog do read about its temperament, is it right for you etc. - don't get it just because of its looks.

Edit: From some bull terrier site:
Ease of training is not a trait of the Bull Terrier, quite the contrary.
Yeah, I am aware that Bull Terriers are not perfect for us, if anything, because of the cats. I mentioned them because it's one of the few breeds that we both like look-wise (that is to say, I dislike the look of most dogs he likes). Of course, looks are not everything, but he is very focused on the way a dog looks, so I'm trying to work around that.

I'd be very fine with a golden, however, my partner is against them because of the hair... (and both rather dislike Labs).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Smooth Collies? Not sure what you have in the Netherlands that is different/the same as the US, but from what I know, Smooth Collies are easy grooming wise, get along with cats and other pets, are hardy dogs that have an off switch, and are very biddable.

Edit: What exactly does your partner like? Brachycephalic breeds are mostly limited to the toy dogs (minus a couple bigger dogs). Is a toy dog something you would both enjoy? Do you have a size minimum?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Boxers ? I think there are some non-show English Bulldogs that have been bred as pets with minimal health problems...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
A Shar-Pei may fit the bill as well, if you are looking for a dog that is a little less rambunctious than a Boxer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smooth Collies? Not sure what you have in the Netherlands that is different/the same as the US, but from what I know, Smooth Collies are easy grooming wise, get along with cats and other pets, are hardy dogs that have an off switch, and are very biddable.

Edit: What exactly does your partner like? Brachycephalic breeds are mostly limited to the toy dogs (minus a couple bigger dogs). Is a toy dog something you would both enjoy? Do you have a size minimum?
Will look at Smooth Collies, but don't believe it's something he would consider.

As far as minimum size... I would like a not-too-small dog, mostly for me to feel somewhat protected when I'm outside (not that the dog needs to be a protector, just that I don't see tiny dogs as being much of a deterrent if someone decides to try to hurt me...)

We haven't really looked at boxers yet, but this might be a good idea! To be quite honest, I never really liked boxers much (for whatever reason?), but they look good and would fit our criteria. I think. How are they with cats?

A Shar-Pei may fit the bill as well, if you are looking for a dog that is a little less rambunctious than a Boxer.
We HAVE looked at Shar-Peis and he dismissed them as having too many health issues? I'm not sure if this is true but he mentioned them needing to go the vet every week, which is obviously an exaggeration, but then again... he's rather stubborn.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Which dogs does he like that are "squash faced"? There aren't a lot of choices, and he seems to be shooting the suggestions down, LOL.

Boxers are rambunctious and enthusiastic. They can be taught to be nice to the kitties but may still get overexcited about them. It's really all about training, though. They have a high incidence of cancer, so you'd want to ask any breeders you'd be looking at how often they see cancer in their lines.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Shar-peis can have several health issues you need to watch for, but most can be mitigated by going through a reputable breeder who health tests. as far as going to the vet every week? lol. No, not really, unless you have a chronic condition. They seem to fit the majority if not all your requirements, so I would suggest you do a little more research about them and see what you and your SO think. Talk to some breeders as well and get a feel for what kind of dogs are out there.

I would also just like to mention that breed specific rescues are a great resource for someone looking for a purebred dog. It is very very possible to find the dog of your dreams and the dog that meets your criteria in a rescue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which dogs does he like that are "squash faced"? There aren't a lot of choices, and he seems to be shooting the suggestions down, LOL.
Yes, he is indeed doing that. Me? I'd visit the dog shelter and pick a lovely there, but he is completely against that. The breeds he likes are mostly bullies and molosser-like breeds. :/

olde english bulldogge or renascence bulldogge, I know there are some breeders in your area.
Could you shoot me a PM so I can look at these?

Shar-peis can have several health issues you need to watch for, but most can be mitigated by going through a reputable breeder who health tests. as far as going to the vet every week? lol. No, not really, unless you have a chronic condition. They seem to fit the majority if not all your requirements, so I would suggest you do a little more research about them and see what you and your SO think. Talk to some breeders as well and get a feel for what kind of dogs are out there.

I would also just like to mention that breed specific rescues are a great resource for someone looking for a purebred dog. It is very very possible to find the dog of your dreams and the dog that meets your criteria in a rescue.
I know they are not THAT bad when it comes to health, it's just that what my partner believes... must be true in his mind. So to him, Shar Pei are not acceptable for being sickly dogs...

Also, I am not sure if there are many breed specific rescues in the Netherlands, but will look into that!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Have your partner make a list of the breeds he would find acceptable, and then you can choose from there. Otherwise I think this is going to turn into a real circus :p.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
And I know you know this, BUT, really, a dog should be primarily chosen for being behaviorally compatible rather than aesthetically pleasing. Really. Looks should come after you filter for life-style.

And really, does your partner actually want a dog? No attitude here, but with the roadblocks and dead ends, I would be curious about how motivated your partner is to add a dog. Your partner seems to have lots of opinions about "No" but no real direction about "Yes." Maybe I am reading the situation incorrectly, but that's the impression I am getting.

I like athletic looking short-coated dogs. If I had to own a long-coated dog or none at all, I would have to think about it. So I "get" personal preferences.

Though not short-nosed, whippets are pretty easy dogs. Many do well with cats. While they need a little real zoom time a day, for the most part they are couch potatos. Boxers, at least the ones I have owned or fostered, are INSANE! I boarded one who was a couch-warmer, but he was the stand-out and he was really obese and much older...

Boston Terriers are a blast, but they are on the small size. However, they are unaware of their small size. Utterly. They are a little drivey, but a TON of fun. And they have smashed in faces.

Looking for a dog is a ton of fun! I hope you find exactly what the two of you are searching for.

·
Registered
705 Posts
And I know you know this, BUT, really, a dog should be primarily chosen for being behaviorally compatible rather than aesthetically pleasing. Really. Looks should come after you filter for life-style.

And really, does your partner actually want a dog? No attitude here, but with the roadblocks and dead ends, I would be curious about how motivated your partner is to add a dog. Your partner seems to have lots of opinions about "No" but no real direction about "Yes." Maybe I am reading the situation incorrectly, but that's the impression I am getting.
I am getting this feeling too. Also, not to be mean, but is your partner planning on helping train, feed, socialize, exercise, and take care of the dog? If you are going to be the primary caretaker and he/she isn't going to be contributing a whole lot, then I would say find something you like and you feel you could handle. I'm not saying to totally ignore your partner, you still want to take their suggestions to heart, but look for something you are more comfortable with and get them to like that breed versus nixing whole breeds just because they don't like the way they look when they may not be the ones actually caring for them.

As far as Boxers, I think it depends. They can be really enthusiastic and can kill kittens/cats just by playing too rough. Introducing a young Boxer puppy to cats at a young age may help, but from what I understand, they are generally not very good with them just because of their prey drive and enthusiasm. But, I am sure there are exceptions and it really depends on how you introduce them too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

I like athletic looking short-coated dogs. If I had to own a long-coated dog or none at all, I would have to think about it. So I "get" personal preferences.

Though not short-nosed, whippets are pretty easy dogs. Many do well with cats. While they need a little real zoom time a day, for the most part they are couch potatos. Boxers, at least the ones I have owned or fostered, are INSANE! I boarded one who was a couch-warmer, but he was the stand-out and he was really obese and much older...

Boston Terriers are a blast, but they are on the small size. However, they are unaware of their small size. Utterly. They are a little drivey, but a TON of fun. And they have smashed in faces.

Looking for a dog is a ton of fun! I hope you find exactly what the two of you are searching for.
He does want a dog. The problem is that he wants a dog on HIS terms, which take looks into very high regard. I'm not like that and am trying to compromise with him about the dog (since I will most likely be the one taking the most care of it). So far he prefers squash faced, atletic-built dogs, so that's more or less what I have been looking at. I don't want to completely disregard his wishes, nor mine either.

I am getting this feeling too. Also, not to be mean, but is your partner planning on helping train, feed, socialize, exercise, and take care of the dog? If you are going to be the primary caretaker and he/she isn't going to be contributing a whole lot, then I would say find something you like and you feel you could handle. I'm not saying to totally ignore your partner, you still want to take their suggestions to heart, but look for something you are more comfortable with and get them to like that breed versus nixing whole breeds just because they don't like the way they look when they may not be the ones actually caring for them.

As far as Boxers, I think it depends. They can be really enthusiastic and can kill kittens/cats just by playing too rough. Introducing a young Boxer puppy to cats at a young age may help, but from what I understand, they are generally not very good with them just because of their prey drive and enthusiasm. But, I am sure there are exceptions and it really depends on how you introduce them too.
Yes, since I am home pretty much at all times, I am the one who's going to be taking care of it. However, since it's our home (me and my partner's), I can't just get whatever dog I like as he'd never accept it (and like I said, he is veeery stubborn). Lol. So far, the dogs we both like the way they look, are the bull terrier and the mastiff (I like the bull mastiff, napolitan mastiff, english mastiff... etc) which aren't really good for beginners, or so I am told. :p

Just wanted to add, I DO understand why they aren't good for beginners. The bull terrier can be difficult to manage and the mastiffs are VERY large. Didn't want to sound like I haven't researched anything at all.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
No suggestions, really, I just don't envy your position! Our dog conversation* went...

Me: You know what we need? A wiener dog!
Husband: Ok!

-- a few days later --

Me: The shelter has a litter of wiener dog mix pups! Should we get one?
Husband: Yes!

As you can see, he was not difficult to convince. I was against purchasing a dog, he knows nothing about dogs and went along with whatever I said! I chose Hamilton based on temperament. There was a cuter dog in his litter, but he had the best personality for us!

* There was a lot of preamble to this with months of discussing whether or not we want a dog and are capable of caring for one, and what sort of dog we'd want, and things like that... but it had taken a back burner until I decided I wanted a dachshund.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I don't wish to be rude and please tell me if I'm wrong, but it sounds an awful like you're compromising to him, but he's not with you. You seem to be "well I know I don't like it, but I want to respect his wishes." Does your partner respect your wishes? I know you say he's stubborn, but he should be respecting your wishes as well. You both should sit down, write down the breeds you want (as another poster said to do), write down pros/cons of each dog, and go from there.

Small dogs aren't too bad, they actually act like bigger dogs. I have an 18lb dog that acts like he's a German Shepherd and I have no doubt that he would protect me from anything. Not a big fan of "designer dogs", but they wouldn't be that bad. They don't shed and I hear, make good family pets and are good with other animals. Some can be a Shepadoodle (sheperd/poodle cross) or go to here and find a lot of them: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm Plus you may find out about a purebred that you like from the list as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes, since I am home pretty much at all times, I am the one who's going to be taking care of it. However, since it's our home (me and my partner's), I can't just get whatever dog I like as he'd never accept it (and like I said, he is veeery stubborn).
I understand. Sounds tough! It's wonderful you are taking the time to do the research too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I was thinking Boxer too, no dog breed likes cats, depends on the dog, the dog is more likely to like cats if they have been living with them at the breeders, but not always, as some dogs like the cats they live with but hate all other cats, my friend had a Boxer, was fine with cats, quiet dog, she has two know both mad espically the boy, and both hate cats!, all three were rescue dogs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts