Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are in the middle of figuring out if my 9 year old dog has a food allergy or an environmental allergy.

The dermatologist vet suggests that it's unlikely to be an environmental allergy because dogs do not usually develop these later in life -- she says it's a chronic issue usually beginning early in the dog's life. She did not rule this out but she really thinks this is food related. His allergies only started out mild last June but became rampant in the dead of winter here (below freezing and snowy). So if this is environmental it is likely due to dust mites and/or mold.

Symptoms are itchy skin mostly around the legs he gnaws on to hair loss. Itchy face, itchy bum, developed an ear infection with bacteria and yeast (this has been successfully treated). His cytopoint is beginning to wear off after almost 40 days. Strict hydrolyzed diet. Itching is coming back slowly. Has anyone experienced their dog developing environmental allergies later in life?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My first dog had flea allergy. I used flea drops and she was okay. When she was 14 years old they no longer helped, she was chewing hot spots into her rump whether flea meds were up to date or not. So I do think they can bother the dog more late in life. I treated with Temeril P as QOL more important than side effects from the minute amount of steroid she needed to control the itchiness.

Where can you possibly go from that hydrolyzed diet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The strict hydrolyzed diet began on February 9th. Vet said it could take two whole months for a food allergy to work itself out of the body. He's almost there but not yet. I am hoping to not have to give him his 2nd cytopoint shot before the 2 month strict food trial is over because it will mask the symptoms for yet another month and a half (if this is an environmental allergy) while he eats this junk. He now craps 3-4 times a day as opposed to his 1-2 times a day when he was on a premium grain free diet.

Either way after the 2 month mark of this Rx diet I will be switching him to Answers Straight raw with goats milk regardless of the outcome to hopefully provide him with relief.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
There's nothing special about environmental allergies, compared with food allergies, that prevent them from developing later in life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts