Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that tapeworm can weaken the immune system of a 2/3 year old dog enough that they might get demodetic mange? That their immune system wouldn't be able to keep the mite numbers in check? Lets assume that an exposure to another dog is completely possible, likely even, while having tape worm as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to post it under a different topic....can't figure out how to delete this and put it in a more appropriate place?

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Mod hat on: Got you covered!

Now, with mod hat off: Possibly? I would think a tapeworm infection severe enough to be impacting immunity would be showing other symptoms too, though, like the weight loss and tell-tale 'rice bits' in their poop or around their anus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mod hat on: Got you covered!

Now, with mod hat off: Possibly? I would think a tapeworm infection severe enough to be impacting immunity would be showing other symptoms too, though, like the weight loss and tell-tale 'rice bits' in their poop or around their anus.
Thank you!! Much appreciated!

I have a 2/3 year old tripawd that I just adopted after 3 months of foster. She's got itch issues. I'm trying different allergy diets with no success thus far, and she's on a large dose of Apoquel which doesn't really seem to control it much. She came from a clinic with exposure to many dogs. She was ravenous, especially when they put her on a round of prednisone to stop the itch at first (which could have weakened her immune system further?). It definitely stopped the itch, but came back with a vengeance as soon as we tapered off. I was feeding her a lot to keep weight on. Then I saw the tape worm segments in a poop and she was treated for it.

She sleeps with me in bed every night, and I don't have itch. So, it's not the sacoptic mange. And it's hard to say mange because she has such a beautiful coat everywhere except her belly (the hair has thinned even in places she can't lick) and elbows (I thought they were calluses from opting to lay on the cooler hardwood floor in the heat..).

I'm just trying to figure this out because right now, even on the Apoquel, I'm putting socks on her at night and an E cone during her daytime itchy spells.

Her otherwise gorgeous coat:

Calluses...or?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
A combination of everything she went through-- injury, surgery, healing, parasites etc can EASILY weaken the immune system and keep a dog from naturally fighting back the mites.

Good thing is that Bravecto has been shown to treat demodectic mange in a single dose. How available that is in your location may be another story though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A combination of everything she went through-- injury, surgery, healing, parasites etc can EASILY weaken the immune system and keep a dog from naturally fighting back the mites.

Good thing is that Bravecto has been shown to treat demodectic mange in a single dose. How available that is in your location may be another story though.
Thank you, Shell! I think I might be able to get my hands on that. :) :)

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Ah, yeah, I could absolutely see your poor girl having a weakened immune system with all that! For some reason I was reading it wrong and thought you were asking if her itching symptoms might mean she has something like a parasite weakening her immune system, not that there was a known tapeworm issue. Totally my bad - it's been a long week for me clearly!

I just wanted to say that I haven't had much to tell you since I haven't dealt with most of the issues you're facing, but I have been following your posts. Thank you for taking on Pi. You're doing awesome with the resources you have, and she's lucky to have found you!

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Thank you, Shell! I think I might be able to get my hands on that. :) :)
Her fur doesn't look too bad even at the elbows and looks really healthy elsewhere. So may or may not be a "slight" mange issue. But, IMO, since Bravecto is a standard flea and tick med anyways, then if available, its a very easy swap out for whatever her current flea med is and MIGHT be a quick solve to the itching.

How do her toes look between them and at the base of the nails?

How to the edges of her ears look (like, the rim? i guess you'd call it)?

In my limited observation of demodex, those are two of the last places to heal back as the dog's immune system and any meds fight off the mite oversupply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to say that I haven't had much to tell you since I haven't dealt with most of the issues you're facing, but I have been following your posts. Thank you for taking on Pi. You're doing awesome with the resources you have, and she's lucky to have found you!
Thanks! It means a lot. ❤

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Her fur doesn't look too bad even at the elbows and looks really healthy elsewhere. So may or may not be a "slight" mange issue. But, IMO, since Bravecto is a standard flea and tick med anyways, then if available, its a very easy swap out for whatever her current flea med is and MIGHT be a quick solve to the itching.

How do her toes look between them and at the base of the nails?

How to the edges of her ears look (like, the rim? i guess you'd call it)?

In my limited observation of demodex, those are two of the last places to heal back as the dog's immune system and any meds fight off the mite oversupply.
Until recently, the skin between her toes and her nail beds looked lovely and healthy with good fur (having grown back since her last episode of destruction). Now, she's made them raw and bald in places. The edges of her ears are intact and look good. The elbows never itched her before, but now she's making them bleed, too..

I will definitely have to see if I can get some Bravecto sent off the big island. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine said it was available. It sounds like a good idea, regardless. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts