Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a dog under the assumption that it is an english bulldog puppy. We really do not know a whole lot about this breed, but are starting to wonder if maybe the dog is not a pure breed bulldog. When my wife bought the dog the mother was there and there was no doubt in her mind that the mother was a bulldog, but the guy we got it from said that the father was stolen. That would have thrown a red flag for me, but my wife didn't think nothing of it. We were just wondering if anyone could look at the pictures http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww208/wbixby0001/
and maybe give a little insight into what this dog may be mixed with so that we can have an idea. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
HIs ears are too big to be pure bred. I think maybe some american bulldog or even some olde english bulldog. Does he have an under bite?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do not know a whole lot about the bully breeds. BUT, that puppy looks an awful lot like a pit bull mixed with bull dog.

I'm sure he will be beautiful when he grow up. But, your instincts are right. That's not a pure bred dog.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yep that is definatly not a purebred. his legs are way to long at that age. I'm thinking he's going to be around 16-19 inches fully grown

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am no bull dog expert, but my father-in-law had a white english bull dog that looked just like your puppy. He was a pure bred and his parents looked just like that too (except without the tan). Maybe they are suppose to look different, I don't know, but where I live, that is what they look like.

Regardless, he is one pretty puppy!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
But really It shouldn't matter if it's purebred or not since you really don't seem to need a purebred for anyreason. It looks like you just wanted a loving family pet am I right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Scratch what I said earlier ^^^^up there, What they are calling a "White English Bulldog" here I think is really an American Bulldog. So, on that I will say, No, he doesn't look like an English Bull. Unless, you are also in the south and the people you got him from are as clueless as I am, and in that case, my friend, there is no telling what you have, but it looks like some sort of bulldog to me :D!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Don't know about the breed - his face seems less squished than an English would be. But he is super dooper cute! You aren't going to give him back/get rid of him though, right?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
are you sure they said English not American Bulldog?...that pup looks very American Bulldog to me....

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanbulldog.html

go into the Pictures and look at Bruiser at 8 wks, he's 8 down in the right column....and any of the other Bruiser pics....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
are you sure they said English not American Bulldog?...that pup looks very American Bulldog to me....

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanbulldog.html

go into the Pictures and look at Bruiser at 8 wks, he's 8 down in the right column....and any of the other Bruiser pics....

I think you are on the right track. The more I look at the pics, I think American/english mix. Paws are really small to be pure english or pure american. Ears are too long. Face is long, but I have seen long faced eb's before. Very cute though... so in that respect it's gotta be a bulldog of some sorts.:D

·
Banned
593 Posts
Awwww, too cute for words! I do have to go with tirluc on this one. Looks more like an American Bulldog to me. My second guess would be a Bulldog and Pit mix. It's pretty hard to tell though, he looks way too young. You should be able to have a better guess once he matures some. Well, I wish you luck with your new family member what ever he maybe. He is just too precious! :D

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
He's adorable, but definately NOT an EB, most likely an AB or AB mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW I have never gotten such a great response turnout from posting on a forum in my life!! Thank all of you for responding so quickly and so positively.

To reply to LeRoymydog yes it does have an overbite

we went to talk to the guy that sold it to us today and he told us that both parents were english bulldog the father got stolen, but he showed me the mother and she did not look to me like an english bulldog but rather like an american bulldog. question: the american bulldog is taller more like a pit right? and the english is more like the tom and jerry bulldog short and pudgie ? maybe its the other way around. but anyways the dog that we saw today was taller and thick. there is no doubt in my mind that the mom is a bulldog of some sort, and it did cross my mind that maybe it is some kind of english and american bulldog mix. the reason for all of this wondering is because my wife is trying to sell it. i want to keep it because it is one of the smarter puppies that i have encountered, and because it is so cute. it does not matter to me if it is a mix or not but for selling purposes she had it listed as an english bulldog and the people that were calling about it put the doubt in our minds that it may be a mix.

but either way I cannot say how much i appreciate all of the responses.
thank you all
Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have an american bulldog/ english bulldog mix. There is no pit bull in there. The breeder probably did not want to tell you that you are buying a mixed breed dog. He wouldnt get as much money. So he lied and told you the sire was stolen. Enjoy your cute puppy. Learn your lesson to buy from only a reputable breeder. And be happy. You cant help but love that cute face. Good luck and many happy puppy days ahead.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
WOW I have never gotten such a great response turnout from posting on a forum in my life!! Thank all of you for responding so quickly and so positively.

we went to talk to the guy that sold it to us today and he told us that both parents were english bulldog the father got stolen, but he showed me the mother and she did not look to me like an english bulldog but rather like an american bulldog. question: the american bulldog is taller more like a pit right? and the english is more like the tom and jerry bulldog short and pudgie ? maybe its the other way around. but anyways the dog that we saw today was taller and thick. there is no doubt in my mind that the mom is a bulldog of some sort, and it did cross my mind that maybe it is some kind of english and american bulldog mix. the reason for all of this wondering is because my wife is trying to sell it. i want to keep it because it is one of the smarter puppies that i have encountered, and because it is so cute. it does not matter to me if it is a mix or not but for selling purposes she had it listed as an english bulldog and the people that were calling about it put the doubt in our minds that it may be a mix.

thank you all
Bill
I have an american bulldog and yes they are bigger like a pitbull more than the squatty eb. Here's a picture of my AB.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts

thank you all
Bill
Why would you sell him?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Looks like an AB to me...or at lest a mix or AB EB......Why would you wife want to sell him?.......he is adorable!!!

I think you dodged a bullet really...an EB from what only sounds like a less then reputable breeder probably would have been riddled with health issues:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts