Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My puppy has done a poo this morning and it contained blood I have an appointment at the vets later but I want to try and prepare myself in case it's worse case scenario. Here is brief details

Bought my dog and was told he was flead wormed and had his first injection
Found out he had fleas so had to be treated for this then also had worms which he received treatment for and lastly was scratching his ears so took him back to find out he also has ear mites.

He's had his first lot of injections and is due his second next week but also passed a dead worm this morning and his poo has gone quite loose.

Can anyone give me any advice ? He seems to be eating and drinking fine and also wants to play so seems OK in himself. He wasn't straining when trying to go to the toilet so I don't think the blood was caused by this

Can someone help please?

Xxx

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Blood in the stool can be indicative of all sorts of things, some very minor, so don't automatically think the worst! It could just be an effect of the worms dying and being passed.

Try to get a stool sample WITH blood in it to take to the vet. When is your appointment? While I don't think you need to drive there at 100 miles per hour right now, I do think an appointment sooner rather than later would be a good idea, especially with all of the problems your puppy seems to have going on.

Don't panic, I'm sure the vet will be able to give you some very good advice about how to move forward. In the mean time, watch your puppy for signs of lethargy, and make sure he's eating and drinking normal amounts. If all of those behaviors are normal, (while I can't promise anything, obviously), I don't think this is going to be a 'worse case scenario' situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply

He has just had his dinner and eaten all that and is drinking and right now is playing about with his toys. I have managed to put the poo he did in a tub and if he does anymore between now and my appointment I'll add it to the tub. My appointment is at half past 5 so in about 3 hours.

I always think the worse for some reason and I'm so scared right now that something is going to happen to him. I've only had him just over a week but I love him to bits and hate to know he might be suffering.

Can I report this seller to anyone ? I'm worried he's gonna keep breeding and doing this to other people just for the money and I honestly think if we hadn't have bought Teddy when we did he would be dead by now with all the problems he's having :cry:

Xxx

·
Banned
137 Posts
I don't know much about reporting the seller--are you in the U.S? But I wanted to agree with Hiraeth here--the fact that your pup has energy and is still playing is a very good sign. If he has had worms and his intestinal tract is irritated from that, this could very likely be the cause of the blood in his stool--simply some intestinal irritation. Hopefully you will get further reassurance at the vet when you go for your appt.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

He has just had his dinner and eaten all that and is drinking and right now is playing about with his toys. I have managed to put the poo he did in a tub and if he does anymore between now and my appointment I'll add it to the tub. My appointment is at half past 5 so in about 3 hours.

I always think the worse for some reason and I'm so scared right now that something is going to happen to him. I've only had him just over a week but I love him to bits and hate to know he might be suffering.

Can I report this seller to anyone ? I'm worried he's gonna keep breeding and doing this to other people just for the money and I honestly think if we hadn't have bought Teddy when we did he would be dead by now with all the problems he's having :cry:

Xxx
When taking a stool sample it it either must be fresh (just went) or put in a sealed container in the fridge immediately upon going until taken to the vet and you should try to get it in the container upon going, so it doesn't touch the ground and possibly pick something up off the ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I'm in the UK but think there is a way you can report someone if they are breading dogs and not taking proper care of them I'm not sure if it's the RSPCA over here.

He definatley seems ok in himself would the vet give him anything else to get rid of the worms do you think ? Just because whatever they treated him with doesn't seem to be working very well as he was treated over a week ago now and is still suffering

Xxx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet has prescribed him 5 days worth of antibiotics and some really bland food to give him for the next few days to see if that will clear it up she thinks his stomach is inflamed.

He's had some of the food and a dose of his antibiotics and has done about 3 runny poos and all included blood ... I so hope it clears up soon I'm worried to death about him

Xxx

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think all our dogs have at some point or another eaten something stupid and caused GI irritation, which led to constipation and blood in the stool. It's really not an automatic death sentence for the dog.

·
Banned
137 Posts
He'll be OK--it'll just take his tummy/bowel some time to heal. I agree with BigLittle--I think we've all been there at one time or another.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our boy went through a few rounds of very loose stools when he was a pup, and on a couple of occasions there was blood. It scared me and I got him to the vet ASAP. Our vet told us that bowel issues such as diarrhea or constipation can produce blood in the stool due to all the straining and inflammation. Definitely a good thing that you got it checked out (better safe than sorry), and I'm sure he'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Xxx
Glad your puppy is ok.

I would not report the seller for this. Worms are a pretty normal event in a puppy's life, and very easy to treat. Often bitches carry worms in cyst form (without showing any signs of having worms) and the puppies get them through the milk. Some breeders worm pups every two weeks. Others don't like giving that much medicine. Some puppies get worms more than once. A single worm (I presume it was a roundworm) is hardly serious . . . I've had puppies pass a dozen or more, with the whole litter passing worms together . . . sometimes on the second or third worming (that was in a warm climate where worms were abundant).

Save the complaints for breeders who sell pups with parvo, who breed closely related dogs, who don't do breed-appropriate health testing, or commit other serious offenses.
It is worth telling the breeder what happened, though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Worms are very common, as far fleas and ear mites.... Not a big deal and certainly not complaint worthy.

Faith had worms as a pup, I didnt blame the person i got her from but did email her to let her know. ( so she could tell the other people she gave pups to)
Hope was INFESTED with fleas and living in a dirty, nasty mobile home. I didnt complain- i got her and ran as fast as we could. <-- this might have been a great complaint to have though.
Opie came with ear mites, i didnt say anything to the person i got him from because its quite common in dogs with longer ears...or so i heard anyway.

The point is that its common and theres a time and place for complaints.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts