Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how obedience events work? are obedience events only for pure breed dogs? or also for mix dogs? how do you start? what do you need to start?
i just tried to figure it out myself, but its confusing. i don't see through all the info?
would really appreciate if someone could explain...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have no experience with it, but maybe you could try to find an obedience club in your area? I think it is only for AKC registered dogs, but mixed breeds may register with the AKC as "All American" in order to compete.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't know where you live, but try to find a club or trainer in your area. You can take classes in basic obedience and Rally-0. If you are specifically looking into competitive obedience, find a trainer who has put titles on their dogs. AKC now allows mixed breed entries.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I tried to look it up on the website but i just cant find how u start. I will call the local dig training club.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Go to AKC.org and read the obedience rules and regulations
That would definitely be the first step.

Second step ... attend some trials/obedience events as a spectator.

Third step ... might be training/volunteering to be a ring steward for correction matches. Doing this should give you a pretty good inside look at the way things work.

At that point you can decide whether there is further interest, and whether formal obedience is a good fit for you and your dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts