Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware, poop talk:

4-month lab puppy. Came to us eating Purina One large breed puppy food. We kept him on that for a few weeks, then started to switch him over to Nutro on the advice of some friends. Developed constant diarrhea. Brought him to the vet to determine if it had an identifiable cause. They found nothing in the fecal float but put him on a dewormer (Panacur) and an antibiotic (metronidazole) just in case. They changed his poop consistency for the better while he was on them, then back to square one.

Since these didn't solve the problem we took him back off the nutro and put him on the Purina. life was fine, poo was good, but we didn't want him to stay on the Purina, so we started transitioning to Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. He got through the transition fine, and the first week or so of 100% BB. Then, poopy again. And it's been that way for 3 weeks now - liquid, gassy poop.

So, I put him on a bland diet for a few days of chicken, rice, and pumpkin. His poop was great but he was going once in 24 hours, which was weird. His poo continued to be great giving him 1/2 bland, 1/2 BB. Now, giving him 100% BB again, his runny poops are back. [Note that when I put him on the bland diet I took everything else away that he could eat - rawhide, training treats, and milkbones. He has not gotten these back yet but is still getting the runny poop.]

I thought BB was like, the holy grail of dog food. Why does it seem that anything but Purina One causes him gastrointestinal upset? Any suggestions as to what might be setting him off?

(I have read up on BARF and am not willing to do that right now, so hopefully there is another option.)

Thanks guys. I'd ask my vet, but we all know how well-versed in nutrition they are.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thinking out loud:

Have the protein sources been the same each time? In other words--all chicken or all lamb?

You could try a limited ingredient food. I believe California Natural is one of them.

Or you could do a single source protein food that isn't what you've been feeding such as beef (if you have in fact, been feeding a chicken based food). Or a grain free diet to see if that helps. Fromm is one of my favorites and has lots of options, although it's a little more pricey than the Blue.

I've never been a Nutro fan--but I read some serious "concerns" about their food just yesterday so would avoid it at all costs.

You may have to try a few foods to see if one agrees with him better--but it also concerns me that he cleared up on antibiotics and started back once over. May want to schedule a follow up just to be safe.

Best of luck to you both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. We actually went to the vet this morning to get some vaccinations, so while I was there I ran my concerns by the vet anyway. She thought it was curious that he cleared up while being medicated the first time, but not the second time, and thought the difference might have been that the first time we also gave him a probiotic. So we're going to give him a probiotic for a week or so and see how that fares with him. If that doesn't resolve anything, it's back to the drawing board.

All the foods he's been on have had chicken as their primary protein, and he did fine with the chicken and rice, so I don't think it's the protein source. Grain free might be something to consider. The vet said she put her sensitive dog on grain-free and probiotics and he's doing very well now. I just don't understand why he was great with the Purina One with its fillers and byproducts, and not great on the BB. It doesn't make sense! :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hmmm very strange, but perhaps he just has a sensitivity or allergy to something else other than the slightly less quality ingredients in Purina. When my Kelpie puppy was 3-months old, I had him on half kibble, half raw and it did not matter what kind of kibble I fed he had water hose diarrhea. I tried 3 different kinds of grain-free kibble and eventually I had to suck it up and put him on %100 barf diet and this immediately solidified his tummy and poop issues. I was also giving him 1 cup of whole goats milk or a couple spoonfuls of goat yogurt each day mixed with his raw for a probiotic. I had to keep him on this for quite a while, once all his deworming and vaccinations were complete by 5 or so months old I put him back onto part kibble (in the am) and raw (in the PM) and he's okay now. He does still have the occasional loose stool, but only when we go for walks or he's in a different environment, I think he just gets the nervous-anxious poops, becuase at home they are pretty solid.

You might just have to try a few different types of food until you can nail something down. I would recommend a grain-free, limited ingredient, maybe something like Nature's Variety Instinct LID, I think they have a duck or turkey one, and try that and see. If not, maybe try something that has a fish-based protein.. it seems as though a lot of dogs with stomach sensitivities and allergies do well on something like salmon. I would continue to try and eliminate everything else in his diet as much as possible like treats until you get to the bottom of it. Once he seems to be okay on a food, introduce only one kind of treat at a time and take note of any reactions, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so here's a question - we're doing another round of puppy class starting next week. What do I give him for treats?? The trainer wants us to bring ~100 treats per class. I guess I could have a pocket full of chopped cooked chicken breast....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ok, so here's a question - we're doing another round of puppy class starting next week. What do I give him for treats?? The trainer wants us to bring ~100 treats per class. I guess I could have a pocket full of chopped cooked chicken breast....
Haha well if your doing obedience classes giving that much treats you definitely could encounter some slight digestive upset. An over abundance of any kind of treat, regardless what it is, can cause some digestion issues. Some baked chicken breast might be the best bet though. Mixing different treats together, given he already has some tummy issues likely won't help your situation, but if you said he's done okay on cooked chicken before then thats what I would stick with at training classes. Honestly though giving that much chicken might not be the greatest and, it might become kind of boring to him, so when your doing training classes it might be best just to drop the elimination diet for that day and start over afterward - if he's already having diarrhea issues, trying to solve it when you need to constantly reward puppy with yummy high value treats might not help lol.

When I was in obedeince class with my Kelpie pup, my treat pouch consisted of chopped boiled chicken, leftover steak, small cubes of goat cheese, thawed green beans, and apple chunks. Healthy, yummy and kept some variety so he didn't get too much or too little or anything and didn't get bored of any of the treats.

again.. good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts