It is okay for a dog to be off leash in an unfenced area:

1) When properly trained thru obedience

2) on trail, hiking paths, campgrounds or the beach

3) in my front yard if I'm doing something out there and watching him/her

4. Never, too many unpredictable things can happen

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm not going to say never, it realy depends on the breed of dog, training and rules/regulations of the area.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I say it depends on the individual dog. I would say never if the dog was not well trained and had an excellent recall. I have three that I would not trust even though I live in a remote area out in the woods...they are not trained well enough to not run off and get lost. This is where the "unpredictable" comes into play IMO.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Like Abbylynn said, it depends on the individual dog. I have a Lab who can be off leash when we go for hikes. She sticks right by my side and has an excellent recall.
My huskies on the other hand, unclipping the leash on them would be like pulling the trigger on a gun. They'd be off and I'd be on a dog hunt.

So, if a dog is well trained and has a very good recall, I say yes, they can be off leash as long as the owner is with them and takes responsibility in controling the dog if need be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a corgi by the way. Aren't corgi's easy-tempered anyways? I think I answered it as:
1) When properly trained thru obedience

but they re-emailed me again asking me to answer it again. I don't know if they didn't know I answered 1) or if they hinted at me that I answered it incorrectly and to retry. I'm guessing #4 would be the best bet? because that pretty much is safe for all dogs.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It would depend on the dog and local laws. Even if the dog is properly trained to be allowed off leash if you're in an area with a leash law the dog must stay leashed.

Even though my Saint Bernard can be trusted not to run off I live in an area with laws that state dogs must be leashed (or indoors/inside a fence) so he's not off leash when we're outside. For potty & playtime we use long leashes.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We have leash laws here, and while I don't want any one to see a dog off leash and get the bright idea theirs can be off leash too, I really don't care if someones dog is off leash as long as it is under control and doesn't come any where near my dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts