Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think at this age, is keep nail clipping as positive as possible. If you can two nails in with her behaving, but the third she starts to struggle, stop before she gets too frustrated. For the pups that I clip their nails at that age, I like to keep lots of treats handy. If possible, have someone distract her with them while you clip nails. If you don't have someone to help you, stick her in the tub, smear some peanut butter on the side and let thay distract her while you clip.

Another thing I would consider if I was you to let her stand right now and hold her feet up when you clip (this is where the distraction comes in handy!). Laying still on her side may be too uncomfortable right now, you can work to that later.

And definitely don't over stress!! I will say that I like to clip my dogs nails as short as possible. I have quickest them before, and they didn't even flinch because I was so routine about applying quickstop and moving to the next nail. I'm not saying you should quick your dog (don't do that haha!!), but ol a firm believe that animals feed off our stress. Act like its not big deal and sooner or later your dog will act like its no big deal too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts