Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 16 weeks. We've had her since she was 3 weeks old and have clipped her nails and played with her feet from the beginning. She has never been hurt or had her nails cut too short but for some reason several weeks ago she started taking issues with clipping time. She bites my hands and gets very wiggly and unruly while I'm trying to trim. It doesn't help that she has slightly shaggy feet and I have to move her fur out of the way to get to her nails. For the last few weeks I've been clipping one or two nails every few days because I can't do the whole set at once.

I've been trying to train her to lay down and lay still and I rub the clippers over her paws, but as soon as I grab a foot to find a nail she starts to bite me.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Maybe she thinks it's play time? Are you "yelping" or saying "ooouch!" when she bites? Try giving her a stuffed Kong toy or bully stick or something to keep her busy while you are handling her paws. Or maybe get her nice and tired first. Go for a long walk or let her play and romp with other dogs for an hour, and right when you get home and she flops down to relax then get the clippers and try then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/nailtrimming.htm

Might take awhile, but it is SO worth it to have dogs who just lay down and relax dor nail clipping. When I got my first dog, she would FLIP OUT the minute I pulled out the clippers. It took a long time to get her first real trim done (first few sessions were just looking at, touching, being touched by the clippers, along with rewards and praise). Now, she does great and it is super quick and easy.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Random thoughts:
1. At 4 mos, she may be teething and the soreness may make her a bit 'irritable.'
2. The top of a dog's feet is sensitive, maybe that is an issue. Hold the paw with a cold, wet cloth?
3. Groomers and Vets clip the claws from 'behind' the dog, gently flexing the front paws backwards...

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dog did the same thing....we had always groomed him then all of a sudden he took issue with his feet and ears. It's taken a few months of daily work, but I now can groom him normally.

FWIW, I found a thread on here where someone recommended not worrying too much about trimming nails. It was a refreshing perspective.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think at this age, is keep nail clipping as positive as possible. If you can two nails in with her behaving, but the third she starts to struggle, stop before she gets too frustrated. For the pups that I clip their nails at that age, I like to keep lots of treats handy. If possible, have someone distract her with them while you clip nails. If you don't have someone to help you, stick her in the tub, smear some peanut butter on the side and let thay distract her while you clip.

Another thing I would consider if I was you to let her stand right now and hold her feet up when you clip (this is where the distraction comes in handy!). Laying still on her side may be too uncomfortable right now, you can work to that later.

And definitely don't over stress!! I will say that I like to clip my dogs nails as short as possible. I have quickest them before, and they didn't even flinch because I was so routine about applying quickstop and moving to the next nail. I'm not saying you should quick your dog (don't do that haha!!), but ol a firm believe that animals feed off our stress. Act like its not big deal and sooner or later your dog will act like its no big deal too.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Mine has been getting worse and worse with nail trimming. He lets us do anything else - brush teeth, clean ears, mess around with his mouth -- but touch his feet and he flips out. I've been handling his feet since the day we brought him home and been trying to desensitize him of the clippers and nothing is working. I'm about ready to just bring him to the vet and have them hold him down and do it. :\ Hope you have better luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts