Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Sadie I gave her several kinds of food at first and many different kinds of treats, and never bothered to transition anything. She had the runs maybe ONE day when she was a puppy. After a few months we switched to raw. She seems to have an iron stomach, she eats all sorts of people foods, any treats people give her, etc.

As contrast, my friend's dog who has only eaten one brand of food since it came to him, and generally 3 brands of treats, will throw up if she eats a different treat.

I know this is not an excellent sample, but it seems to me to make sense that if you get the dog used to many different foods when it's a pup, it won't have such trouble as an adult.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or anecdotes about similar situations?

When I get the next dog I am going to do the same thing and try to expose him to as many different foods as a pup. If we expose them to all sorts of surfaces and people, why not food? :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't know if that's true or not but I have never coddled my dogs when it comes to what's for dinner. I know many, maybe even most, slowly transition their dogs when changing foods but I haven't. I simply don't have time to figure who has been on what diet or for how long. I have half a dozen of my own plus fosters coming and going. Years ago when I first switched to raw I gave chicken quarters for a week but after that it was whatever was on sale. That was for the first group. After that everyone ate the same thing regardless if it was their first day on raw or 10th year. If it was liver night everyone got liver, including the newbie. I have heard so many stories of "cannon butt" but have never seen it in any of my own dogs or fosters. I don't know if it's because all my guys are rescues, and ate whatever was donated to the shelter that week or whatever was in the trash, and developed cast iron guts or what.
Maybe you like you suggested, digestive sensitivity it a developed thing? I dunno... Just glad it's not happening in my home! :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts