Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the story is that i had a dog(collie) named fluffy
when i was a kid, i used to play with him EVERY SINGLE days for hours and hours
id say by the time i was 14, i just stop going to backyard ever since.
the only time i would go to bakcyard is to pick up something and completely ignore him
i would give him little attention sometime
there would be SOME days where i would play with him for a hour
then one day im already 16 and i felt bad big time, so i decided to give him a big hug and spend time with him and shook his paw (yes he can do that)
then the weird thing is, the next day, my idiotic dad decided to give fluffy to a friend, and now i cant ever see him anymore
i have to admit, i was crying SOOOO baddd (and i think im crying rite now as im typing)
all i want him is to be happy and i wonder if he feels betray or thinks i dont like him anymore

what do u guy think?
this is my biggest regret and i dont think i can have another dog that truly understands me like fluffy

haha wow im crying so bad rite now.....i ****in miss him

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sometimes dogs can take change ok, and some dogs can't. All depends on the dog. And if a dog loses a loved one, sometimes they can shut down, so, yes, I do feel that they have feelings to an extent. But not like us people. As for feeling betrayed, I don't think they do. They just feel lonely, like they lost someone they loved.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I think dogs live in the moment for the most part. I think that if their needs are being met...then they have a tendency to adjust very well...after they get used to the new family and whatnot...as long as they have companionship and love. From your post it doesn't sound like you always made enough time for the dog. If he has that now in his new home, I'd still be sad, yes, but also very happy for him. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
From what you described, that seems fairly common in a lot of teenagers with parents who could also care less about the pet (like leaving him outside all day).

At least now you realize that it was the wrong thing to do. Don't let yourself, or your future family make the same mistake.

I mostly agree with what the above posters have said about dogs "living for the moment".

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Dogs adjust to new homes very well, and, if his new home is caring for him properly and giving him lots of attention, I'm sure he's happier than he was alone in your backyard. If his new owners are ignoring him, too......well, :( .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts