Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i spoke to the vet when she told me Champ has Demodectic mange, and she told me no its not contagious to humans but im double checking.... Can humans get mange?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Personally, I would trust what my vet says over what people on the internet say.
But to answer you, demodectic mange is NOT contagious/transferable to humans, sarcoptic mange is.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Demodex is not transferable to humans or other dogs (unless they are newborn pups)...There are other VARIETIES of mange that are though....

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Demodex mites live in the dog's skin pretty permanently and usually only become "active" with stress or immune stress happening. It is NOT contagious, and can easily be controlled when in an active state through topical remedies such as Advantage multi.

Sarcoptic mange (sarcoptes) IS contagious, but is luckily not as common as demodex.

Tell your boyfriend he's probably having a psychosomatic reaction to the THOUGHT of mange. Whenever someone mentions lice I get itchy..lol.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Demodex is not

Scabies is, but it's rare, and the mites cannot complete their life cycle on a human. Even with scabies, if you treat the dog and wash your bedding, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
try telling my fiance that... he recently got a rash on his face and swears its from the mange :D
Tell him not to worry - since you haven't picked it up, it's probably only cancer.

Then ask him about life insurance, and if he's ok with moving up the wedding date.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i agree with u Cracker... its totally a mental thing...
Independent George you are too funny!!
:D

so is there anything i can do to help with the smell and scratching... the reason im asking is because my vet is saying right now is not a good time for Champ to be treated for the mange... he currently has heartworms and is anemic and the mange is the least of his worries and until he gets back to normal state we shouldnt worry too much about it

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
For dogs? There's this stuff called Schreiner's Herbal Solution (http://www.schreiners.com/) that I SWEAR by. The dog and horse formulas are identical. It works wonders on the demodex fosters I've had.

For people? :p Try some sort of topical antiseptic/analgesic spray, like Benedryl or Bactine- talk to your pharmacist. If he's REALLY itchy, chloraseptic sore throat spray is 10% lidocaine. It's not labeled for that use though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my pet has the contagious mange right now and i'm quite itchy myself. i thought it was in my head at first but now it's constant and in the same spots. :( i'm going to my doctor today to see if i have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts