Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in houston, and it gets pretty hot out. I tend to walk in the evenings to avoid the worst of the heat. I was wondering, since Max is a longhaired dachshund, if there was a point at which it's too hot to walk him? He's my first long haired anything, so I just dont know. But I'd hate to think I was doing something that could harm my sweet little fuzz-butt.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There are lots of people here in tx that have dogs like huskies and chows! I would just bring lots of water on walks and pay close attention to how exhausted she seems, and you'll be okay. Maybe also limit walks to just mornings and evenings, too, to avoid the hottest parts of the day.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's easy to think that dogs with a lot of hair have got to be hot because we'd be hot if we had all that hair, but remember, dogs' system of cooling off doesn't work the same as ours. Their skin doesn't sweat anyway. So, as long as they are panting at a reasonable rate and have water, they're going to be fine.

If you want to do something to help keep him cool, get him a cooling vist. Cool Vest

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
COMMENT DELETED because I failed reading comprehension.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Some dogs hate the heat, some hate the cold. I always give a dog credit for having a sense of what's best for him. You don't want to let any dog get overexerted in hot (especially humid) weather. When it's 90/90 outside, my dog will hold a pee ALL day. I grab his leash and open the door, and he just looks up from his spot on the A/C register and he gives me the "I ain't goin' out there, you idiot" look.

Down where you are, walking on blacktop would probably get uncomfortable in hot weather.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I dont live where it gets as hot as texas. But what I do for Blaze is, do a few small walks on super hot days, Stay by a creek so he can wade in it. If we are at the dog park, we are normally there for a few hours, so we stay at the creek where it is deep enough to swim in for him, play ball, take some breaks ect. When we go camping, I make sure he is tide up in the shade with some nice cool water, and bring him down to the lake frequently for a run and swim (we always go to camp grounds with dog beachs and parks for offleash play)

You could just walk early morning or late at night.
get a cooling vest for him.
If its possible and he likes water, excersise near a lake or creek.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
We live in Dallas, and we plain just don't go out between 10AM and 7PM in the summer except for short potty breaks of 10 minutes or so. For Kaylee, who may end up outside longer while working, I stash frozen waterbottles in her backpack and make sure I keep all the undercoat that I can raked out.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dogs like people can also get more acclimated to heat with more exposure.

Also watch the pads in Houston, on dark asphalt it gets hot enough to fry an egg, I've actually done it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would get a bandana, wet it and stick it in the fridge. then for walk time your long haired daxi can wear the bandanna and keep cool.
Also what i do with my borzoi pup when it's really hot out is we have bathtub time with toys when we get back inside.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I've also heard of people having kiddy pools for their northern breeds to play in when it gets too warm.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm in the DFW area and mine are generally out in the summer. I offer plenty of shade, fresh water everyday, and a swimming pool to sit in.

My elderly rough is put up in the AC in the dead of summer, but the smooths 'rough' it. If I see them loosing condition or if the heat gets really bad, then they go up also.

It just depends, July and August I usually put them up part time.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
When it's very hot, I keep walks before 9 am or after 8 pm...or skip them all together. My dogs have much less energy in the summer and spend alot of time laying indoors by the fan or on the tile, but, I still let them outside to play in the yard, if they can set their own pace and play or lay when they feel like it, and have shade and water, then they still go out an hour or two broken up throughout the day.

Shiner has been showing some interest in getting in the fish pond :rolleyes:, so I'm getting him a kiddie pool this week...tried it with the shelties a while back and it was a no go. We did have fun on Tuesday though, I was out doing yard work for 3-4 hours and had the dogs out with me...sprayed them with the hose from time to time and they were ok.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
It doesn't get nearly as hot here as in Texas, but still in the summer I walk them early and in the evening. If we do a midday walk we go where there's shade and water for them to get in.

We also keep Toby's belly cut very close (but not shaved) to keep him a little cooler.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It doesn't near as hot here as it does in Texas, but we keep Lucy shaved in the summer. She just seems to like it A LOT better, and since we are outside way more in the summer than in winter it keeps her a lot cleaner. I do wait until evenings to exercise her when it's a bit cooler.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'll stick to the evening walks, and start carrying water. He's not a swimming dog, so walking by the bayou does nothing for him. We walk on the sidewalk, so we're not on the blacktop. I usually put my hand down before we go to see how hot the ground is for them. I'm just worried that he'd try to keep up with the other 2 no matter what it did to him. He loves his pack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts