Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had a few dogs in my lifetime but this is my first experience with a puppy.

Ella is a 15 week old Rottie/mix and we live in NYC. She had her first round of vaccinations at 7 weeks while still in the shelter and has subsequently been vaccinated at 10 and 14 weeks. From the paperwork, it looks like her initial round of vaccinations at the shelter included the parvo vaccine. At our latest vet appt a week ago, she was given another parvo shot. The vet wants to do one final round of vaccines in two weeks where she will receive some boosters and a rabbies shot, but I really don't think this dog can wait any longer to get outside.

I really would like to start burning off some of this excess energy with some (short but frequent) walks and pee pads are expensive!!! However, all that isn't nearly as important as keeping her healthy. We can absolutely avoid dog parks/pet stores/plays dates and any other areas where she would be in contact with lots of dogs and we can avoid them on the street. I'm mainly interested in getting her out for walks and we can do real dog socialization later.

Please advise!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would take her out now. She's had her second parvo shot, and that's really the only thing you're waiting for. It's not like she's going to contract rabies walking around NYC.

I take my puppies out in public at 8 weeks because the risk of parvo here is extremely low (I'm about 90min north of NYC). To me, socialization is more important than the very small risk of disease in my particular location.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
For socialization purposes I would probably go for it at this point. Honestly one of the best things I did (and initially not my choice, was required by the organization I was fostering for) was to teach the dogs to pee and poop on concrete/asphalt. Makes it a LOT easier to avoid those tiny patches of grass/mulch that end up being cesspools for germs.

Just my two cents. I live in suburbia so with my (now pet) dog I often forget how useful it is, until we visit someone in a city.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I agree... And you can also call the Vet to get his opinion. He may be OK with everyday walking, but may just want to be sure that the vaccinations are effective for the long term.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The main thing you should do right away is enroll her in an obedience school. The site here really does a horrible job of promoting this. there's lessons learned surrounded by other puppies that you can't replicate otherwise. IF you're going to take her out, stay away from areas with lots of dogs. Common poop areas or dog parks are a no no.

That said, obedience school asap and one with puppy play. If the dog hasn't been outside yet you're missing out on a lot of socialization.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The main thing you should do right away is enroll her in an obedience school. The site here really does a horrible job of promoting this. there's lessons learned surrounded by other puppies that you can't replicate otherwise. IF you're going to take her out, stay away from areas with lots of dogs. Common poop areas or dog parks are a no no.

That said, obedience school asap and one with puppy play. If the dog hasn't been outside yet you're missing out on a lot of socialization.
Oh yeah, nobody here ever recommends puppy class or obedience classes. :eye roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts