Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just adopted a dachshund labradoodle 7/12 week old puppy from a rescue organization. The puppy only had its first round of shots on July 29. The rescue organization told me the second round would be in two weeks. I'm a little afraid of taking her out because of the stories of parvovirus. However, the first round of shots contained the parvovirus vaccine.I asked the rescue organization and they said I shouldn't take her out until after the second round.

However, I wanted to get her more socialized. I live in a townhouse and we have a grassy area that is a common area among the owners. There are many dogs that go through there so I'm afraid she might pick something up. I wanted to know how big of a risk is it that I take her out and she gets infected with something?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
While there is the risk of her picking something up, she needs to see the world. I wouldn't let her play where the other dogs go, but sitting off to the side, with a blanket or towel on the ground is an option. Also, just sitting in parking lots, and letting her watch people from her crate or sitting next to you will help. Going to pet friendly stores, and putting her in a shopping cart with a towel is another option. Parks (not dog parks, but people parks) where she can see things is also good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I appreciate this advice. I was thinking I'll just take her out to thelocal farmer's market and just hold her. I do want to get her use to seeing different people. I don't think though that I will let her sniff other dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts