Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week cane corso which I recently got. He seems to always get tired when I take him on walks as he's still young. He still has to have his last vaccine shot next week. I was wondering if I could take him out in public( 15 min walk to the bus then 45 min rest on bus) then walk around the area to eat and so. It might be a stupid question but it is the first time caring for a dog so I was wondering if his joints or if there would be any problems. It won't be too tiring in public and he doesn't wonder of so I am talking only about him getting tired or having joint problems as I wish to take him out to many places in public by train or bus like some which are an hour away. Thank you

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I have a 12 week cane corso which I recently got. He seems to always get tired when I take him on walks as he's still young. He still has to have his last vaccine shot next week. I was wondering if I could take him out in public( 15 min walk to the bus then 45 min rest on bus) then walk around the area to eat and so. It might be a stupid question but it is the first time caring for a dog so I was wondering if his joints or if there would be any problems. It won't be too tiring in public and he doesn't wonder of so I am talking only about him getting tired or having joint problems as I wish to take him out to many places in public by train or bus like some which are an hour away. Thank you
The two main concerns when taking a puppy out and about in public are contagious diseases like parvo and over-exercising on hard surfaces/repeated exercise.

If your puppy has the vet recommended vaccines to start going out in public in your area, then a bus ride shouldn't matter much at all. You want to let him walk at his pace, stop when he wants to stop, walk on soft surfaces like grass when possible, and avoid stairs when possible (at that age, even a large breed dog can probably be carried upstairs OK). Be ready to carry him back to the bus stop if he gets totally tired out or waiting a long enough time for him to nap and recover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so if I walk at his own pace and rest when he wants to, will there be no joint problems or any other problems

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Thanks so if I walk at his own pace and rest when he wants to, will there be no joint problems or any other problems
No one can say 100% that there will be no joint problems. A lot of joint problems are genetic. Sometimes not genetic but just plain bad luck. However, walking at his pace and taking breaks often, not climbing stairs or asking him to jump (if you toss a ball, roll it on the ground not toss it into the air) will help a lot towards protecting his joints.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. Do these problems occur easily if walking the puppy at its own pace. It won't be any running or climbing stairs as he will just be with me as I go to buy a few things and meet my friend. Should that be ok

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bring food, bring water. Don't do this on a hot day. Have the dog walk on the grass when possible. Take frequent lengthy breaks and offer water. If the dog gets tired, carry him.
Honestly I think a 15 min walk is a bit much for a dog that age. They are still uncoordinated and tire easily. I wouldn't do it. I also wouldn't do it until the vet had told me the dog was up to date on shots and safe to take in public. I'd keep him in the yard until then.

JM2C :)

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
...What on earth breed do you know that is tired out by a 15 minute walk at 12 weeks old? o_O Have I been in herders too long? Because that sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Yes, I'd be more cautious with a giant breed because of joint health, and I'd certainly check with the vet about disease risk but the MOST CONSERVATIVE thing I've ever read is 5 minutes per month which puts a 12 week old at being okay for 15 minutes. Finding that too much for a 12 week old just blows my mind.

I wouldn't find 15 minutes of play time more energetic than than too much for Kylie when she was five weeks old (yes, too young, dumpster puppy). I certainly would not be going packed like we were going on an arctic expedition. Carry water, yeah, but I wouldn't expect to need to take a single break for a healthy puppy. and I certainly don't think you need FOOD on a 15 minute walk unless there's an hour of driving on either end! Would if puppy indicated need but holy CRAP if I saw a need for more than maybe one, I'd be at the vet getting a work up.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I would probably caution that if you're estimating 15mins because that's how long it takes -you- to walk by yourself, you should probably double that time estimate for walking it with a puppy, since you're going to be meandering pace at best and stopping when they want to stop and sniff, etc.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
...What on earth breed do you know that is tired out by a 15 minute walk at 12 weeks old? o_O Have I been in herders too long? Because that sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Yes, I'd be more cautious with a giant breed because of joint health, and I'd certainly check with the vet about disease risk but the MOST CONSERVATIVE thing I've ever read is 5 minutes per month which puts a 12 week old at being okay for 15 minutes. Finding that too much for a 12 week old just blows my mind.

I wouldn't find 15 minutes of play time more energetic than than too much for Kylie when she was five weeks old (yes, too young, dumpster puppy). I certainly would not be going packed like we were going on an arctic expedition. Carry water, yeah, but I wouldn't expect to need to take a single break for a healthy puppy. and I certainly don't think you need FOOD on a 15 minute walk unless there's an hour of driving on either end! Would if puppy indicated need but holy CRAP if I saw a need for more than maybe one, I'd be at the vet getting a work up.
I don't think you've been in herders too long, necessarily. But 15 minutes on hot concrete on a sunny summer day would be a lot for a giant breed puppy, especially if the puppy is overweight (which many giant breed puppies are).

Dieselnj, there are never any guarantees about avoiding joint issues. The best way to do so is to make sure that a puppy's parents are OFA tested before your purchase the puppy. If they weren't, at this point all you can do is minimize the time you spend exercising on hard surfaces, and limit the number of times your puppy goes up and down stairs.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
But 15 minutes on hot concrete on a sunny summer day would be a lot for a giant breed puppy, especially if the puppy is overweight (which many giant breed puppies are).
And I wouldn't walk my fit, short haired 6 year old adult on hot concrete on a sunny summer day when avoidable either. Which doesn't have much to do with joint or vaccination concerns.

I don't know where OP is located (unless the "nj" is New Jersey) but even here in the south, we are still getting a fair number of mornings in the 60s and 70s so something like a leisurely walk to the bus, rest on the bus and a bit of wandering and having brunch or coffee or whatevers with the same rest on the presumably air-conditioned bus on the return trip just wouldn't worry me. I would carry water regardless of season and I would carry a zippy bag of food not because it needed for the dog to get through 2-3 hours of time but because it is good for training things like quiet/calm on the bus and sit/stay at the destination. Make sure the puppy pees before getting on a bus and carry clean-up supplies!

To OP-- if your pup hasn't finished vaccines yet and your vet is telling you it is safe to walk around outside, I suggest clarifying with the vet that it is safe in all locations in your area. By that I mean a rural/suburban/urban area could have quite different parvo risk than a location an hour-ish away, especially if one is densely populated and one is not or some other dissimilarities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am from London it's around 17 degrees C and we are taking him to the vet tomorrow for his vaccine. I will check with the vet and also check about the problems with cane corso ears and tails but I'm not sure if you know about that, or if I should make a new post.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I am from London it's around 17 degrees C and we are taking him to the vet tomorrow for his vaccine. I will check with the vet and also check about the problems with cane corso ears and tails but I'm not sure if you know about that, or if I should make a new post.
I'm not a CC expert, but I do know a bit about the breed. A new post would be helpful for concerns that are separate from the walking issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts