Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noel is a little over 8 months old now. I figured out that I can go on a bike ride with her running beside me, and its SO MUCH EASIER to wear her out that way. It goes by faster, we go further, and she gets wore out easier.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that you shouldn't run dogs until they're a year old or so though. Is there truth to that, or am I okay running her for her exercise?

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
You should wait until she's a year old. Their growth plates aren't closed until then and you can do a lot of damage if you run them for any length on hard surfaces.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
If she has a solid recall, you could always take her to a local dog park and let her run and play. She'd burn plenty of energy that way, and it wouldn't stress her joints running around on soft ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't wait to run with Junior!! The vet did suggest not running him until he's 18 months old.

I posted on here about exercise in the meantime, and swimming was suggested.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No you cannot do exercise runs with your 8-month old. A large or even a medium-sized dog of that age is still an adolescent. Rosemaryninja has given you excellent advice.

However, I must disagree with the free running advice given by a previous poster. Although free running is safer then driving, adolescents can and do injure themselves through overuse even when running over relatively flat ground (of course, running on uneven ground is out).

A good and conservative rule of thumb to use for adolescents is when your dog flattens out it is time to end that exercise period.

As your dog gets passed that 18-month stage you can consider driving him a bit if you want too but don't do it now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is "jogging" up three flights of stairs bad for my 5-month old cockapoo? I like to end our 45min-1hr walks with that on my way up to my apartment.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I wouldn't drive your dog or push it to excercise until it's atleast 18 months, but as far as free play goes and running loose I don't see a problem with that. I mean you can't really stop an 8 month old pup from running. I starting taking my beagle to off leash places and letting her run and play at her own pace when she was 6 months. I mean I agree they can get hurt but you can't really stop a pup from running around and playing. Free play and excercise would wear her down and again she would be going at her own pace.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm not exactly sure what's meant by 'free running'... I mean I go out in the backyard and throw the tennis ball for her and she runs it down, same in the house... I can only imagine thats safe right?

Kuma'sMom said:
If she has a solid recall, you could always take her to a local dog park and let her run and play. She'd burn plenty of energy that way, and it wouldn't stress her joints running around on soft ground.
HAHAHA... That's funny... Her recall is great IN the house, and great when there are no distractions around... But if there are distractions, whether they be people, other dogs, a lizard, or a leaf blowing in the wind, 'recall' ceases to exist... On that note, how do I work on this? I've done everything I can think to teach her to have a solid recall, and all bets are off whenever anything in the world catches her attention...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts