Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and registered here for the purpose of making this thread.

Dog lover here, of course.

Anyways, I'm moving to my own apartment (no more roommates!) late this fall and would like to get a dog. However, I am a Paramedic and my work schedule keeps me out of the house 24 hours at a time 2 days of each week. Other days I'm home with good consistency.

The idea is to get a cat and small dog as babes and raise them together. A lot of people in my field own cats because they can do a 24 stint with no problem, then again, cats use litter boxes. Now I have been researching this quite a bit. I think if I buy a sociable, friendly breed of cat the dog won't be starved for company. Sure he will need additional human contact but my 5 days a week at home should be good, yes? I've also found that I can buy reliable automated feeder/waterers so I don't see any real problem there.

Here is where I snag, urinating/defecating needs and the fact that I cannot have him barking and making a ruckus all day long bothering the other tenants.

I could buy a quiet breed or train my pup to be quiet but can dogs be trained use a litter box like a cat? Or are there other solutions that don't require someone stopping in 2-3 times throughout the day to let them outside?

Either way I don't want my pet to be home alone all day so if you guys just tell me I'm crazy I'll settle for getting 2 cats. But any help here would really be appreciated! :D

Btw, there is a yard, though it is shared and I can't have my pup outside all day/night. The apartment is 1200 sq*ft 2 bedrooms. I'm buying the building and will be the landlord so there's not restrictions on animals (for me anyways) and what sorts of enclosures I can use within reason. However, I do have to keep my tenants happy which involves quiet, well-behaved, non-yard ripper-uppering!

Thank you for all your help,
Nick

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Well, you could get a dog and install a dog door and train the dog to go in and out as he/she pleased. I don't think I would get a dog if there were two days a week where I wasn't even around. I've worked in emergency services before so I know first hand how irregular the hours can be. I also know you can get called in at all kinds of crazy times. It's not the most conducive schedule to dog ownership IMO.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My opinion.

I see no problem with you getting a dog... if you are able to spend the time with it (as in taking time off work or rearranging it so you don't do any 24hr shifts for a couple of months) as a puppy, because I think there is no way you could consider leaving a puppy for 24 hours straight 2x a week.

And as it gets older then develop a good relationship with a friend who has spare time or a dog walker, or even better a couple of each, that you could call to check in on them when you have to be out for 24hrs, and walk the dog when you dont have the time.

I said a good relationship so that they are someone you can call at the last minute if necessary.

I honestly wouldn't consider leaving any dog alone for 24 hours (even with the cat for company) without knowing that either you or someone you trust will be able to check in and ensure the dog gets enough exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of your for the responses.

There is a very reputable professional dog care service in my area that will come to my home and either play with the dog and let it go outside to use the bathroom or take him for a walk for a reasonable fee.

Do you think one visit from this service/12 hours would be acceptable? For example, a 30min walk is $15 and a 15min "Express Visit" is $10 so in a 24 hour period I could have the dog walked during the day and then let out to pee in the evening. Anything more extensive tends to get cost prohibitive but these people are registered, insured and Red Cross Pet First Aid certified so I believe what I can afford to be of good value.

Would something like this work for a puppy or only an adult?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I wouldn't get a puppy in that situation. I think it's a very bad idea. An older, mellow dog could work though.

Welcome!:D

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
=chasekwe;588452]Do you think one visit from this service/12 hours would be acceptable? For example, a 30min walk is $15 and a 15min "Express Visit" is $10 so in a 24 hour period I could have the dog walked during the day and then let out to pee in the evening. Anything more extensive tends to get cost prohibitive but these people are registered, insured and Red Cross Pet First Aid certified so I believe what I can afford to be of good value.
I suppose a dog could get used to a routine where s/he was alone for most of a 24-hr. period every week, with a 30-min. walk during the day, and 15-min. Express Visit. A better choice would be two 30-min. visits. It would only be $5 more than the 15 min. visit. However, if you're thinking of a small breed dog, that's a long time to go without a potty break. (I don't make my adult Standard Poodles wait that long; not because they can't do it, but because I don't want any UTIs or serious kidney problems developing.)

I used to "babysit" a little Yorkie whose owner was a flight attendent. When she was gone on long trips, I'd take care of the dog for her, sometimes for an entire week. That little dog was litter box trained, in case she was delayed in traffic, or whatever, since she lived alone.

Would something like this work for a puppy or only an adult?
A puppy, No.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Definitely not a puppy. They need to potty every 4 hours and need lots of supervision. For an adult dog whose only interaction in a 24 hour period would be from a dog walker I would have them come at least three times and even better have someone actually stay with your dog. What you mentioned would mean that the dog would only have human interaction for 45 min. within a 24 hour period. Waaaaay to little.

In your situation I would only get a dog if I could afford to have someone stay with the dog on the two days I was gone. Other than that I would only get a cat or small animal like guinea pig, rabbit, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys thank you. No dog for me I suppose, I certainly wouldn't want to raise one in a substandard fashion.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Ok guys thank you. No dog for me I suppose, I certainly wouldn't want to raise one in a substandard fashion.
Don't get discouraged - I think you'd be just fine with a dog, but not with a puppy. I think you'd do great with a 2+ year old dog (still young enough to be active, but having outgrown the puppy neediness). The fact that you're even asking about this puts you ahead of 90% of the pet owners I've met. Just have someone look in on it when you're on your long shift, and give it plenty of exercise when you're home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts