Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Golden Retriver named Fenway. We got him from a breeder that said that he can not go jogging until he is one and a half years old. She thinks that is too stressful on his hip joints. He is currently 1year and 1 month old. We are wondering whether we can bring him hiking this summer, since it is WAY to cold and dangerous to hike in the winter with this hyper pup. He will not be 1 1/2 years til January. SOOOOO my question is wether you guys think he can hike at his age now, or will it be too hard on his hips. (My family and I are experianced hikers and we always bring our dogs. I plan to start out small and proceed in puupy steps.)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Jogging is different than hiking, and both are different than running on-leash. If you are 'walking' uphill and not jumping around over boulders. I don't see a problem. If the dog is on-leash and pulling you or vice versa, that will put strain on his back legs. On the other hand, if you'll be hiking in areas where the dog can slip and fall, that is a different issue to consider.

Based on those issues, I suggest that you call and ask your Vet's opinion, as well as the Breeder.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My dog is about the same age and I asked my vet about not jogging till hes 2 and a key to this is jogging is usually on a hard man made surface like cement or asphalt. It's really hard on developing joints. Size also makes a difference too big dogs. Littler dogs can start jogging sooner.
I was told I could take my pup trail running. Of course I'm guessing he won't have the leash manners to do this until January.
( I so miss running! walking Indy is not the same and I can tell I'm not as fit as when I rescued him two months ago)
I would think a reasonable hike should be fine. Is your idea of a hike 1 mi or25?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts