Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a lady this morning in Petsmart. She had a dobie that was beautiful. I noticed though that its toenails were extremely short,the dog appeared to be well cared for and was very obedient. I didn't mention it but I swear they were no longer than a large grain of rice. This was an adult dog. I for one hate to hear dogs nails going across the floor but I was wondering can they actually be too short?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If they aren't quicking the dog to get it that way, I don't think so. I also think the shape of a dog's food can impact how short the nails look. And some dogs that run a lot on hard surfaces have naturally very short nails from it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
From what I understand, you can do that by cutting the nails very often. It forces the quick back. I don't know what the limit of that is, but having Kabota's nails trimmed weekly seems to be working. (his nails were never trimmed, so the quicks were very long.) If this was a dobie from show lines, maybe his nails have been maintained this way from birth.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought it was different,I've seen short nails but these were tiny,they kinda looked outta place on the fairly large dog. That was the blackest dobie with the blackest nails and even his nails seemed to shine.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It was probably a show dog. Most people who show Dobes keep their nails extremely short to better show off the cat-like feet. Many people who do this achieve the short length by either clipping a little every day over time, or Dremeling a little more every day over time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It did draw attention to the legs and feet. I bet it was a show dog. I would love to have dogs with nails like that I bet you didn't even feel them if the dog handed you its paw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts