Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got some great replies last week when I had a sick dog and am hoping you can help me out with this question too.

We have a husky that is probably 9 years old. My husband got her from a husky rescue before we met, and she was severely abused. She has never gotten over whatever abuse she suffered in the past and has always been very solitary and skittish. She doesn't like to be pet, but she would usually lay in the same room we were in, just not interacting with us.

When we do try to pet her she can only handle it for a few brief seconds before she takes off. We've had her since 2007 (I moved in 2009) and she has never once been yelled at or abused here.

We have other dogs in the house, which she seems to get along with just fine. There are no arguments or fights, no food aggression from anyone...we all get along pretty well over here.

About 6 months ago we put up a baby gate in the hallway that has a swinging door on it. She is terrified of this gate and hates walking through it. We saw that she started having some behavior problems and withdrawing shortly after that. She'd pee in the living room, in the same spot over and over, without asking to go potty (which is something she ALWAYS did before, she will verbally let us know she needs to pee).

The peeing got worse and progressed into pooping, on a daily basis. The carpet was trashed. Then we found our newest dog, a stray, running in the streets and brought her home in October, and our husky declined even more.

She withdrew from us socially and wouldn't lay in the same room and never got excited over anything from that point on. Then about three weeks ago, we ripped out the carpet in preparation to have new flooring put down because she had trashed the carpet with her constant peeing. She started having diarrhea and vomiting occasionally when this happened, and we moved her bed into the kitchen because of the mess on the floor.

Now she continues to pee on the concrete while we wait for the flooring to be installed, but other than that she will NOT leave the kitchen at all. She barely eats anything, has not eaten in two days now....she won't move off of her bed.

For the last two weeks she has been puking a lot more and having loose bowels. She does drink water, but has never been a big eater even when she was not having anxiety. She has also always had a sensitive stomach, and vomits very easily.

I'm sorry this is so long, just want to be sure to include the details. She has always been a very sensitive dog. But could all these changes push her to the edge this far where she is physically sick all the time?

We have a vet appointment tomorrow but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced something like this before?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would be very concerned that the symptoms that you are describing are more consistent with a health issue than with stress. Most stress related problems manifest as decreased appetite (although not always to the point of having weight loss) and diarrhea. The marked lethargy, significant anorexia, and vomiting suggest that she has some other issue at play. Having her checked by your vet is an excellent idea. Given her age, having a general blood/urine panel performed would also be a good investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad news...we took our husky to the vet last night, and her kidneys had failed. Her blood was filled with toxins and there was nothing we could do for her. She got to the point she wouldn't move or drink at all since I posted the original post on here. Vet said it could have been coming for a long time but the signs just didn't make themselves known until now. And no way to prevent it either even if we had known :( She weighed 58 pounds at her last visit and was down to 40. It was very hard to see this coming because of her strange personality in the first place, until she started becoming VERY lethargic and not eating I had figured she was just upset and stressed out. I feel terrible, but vet kept telling me there would have been nothing we could have done either way.

We have had a really rough week for sure, with two very sick dogs. The good news is our other dog Viv has been recovering nicely from the infection after being spayed. She is back to her normal self and everything looks perfectly fine. We'll miss Milly very much, but at least I know she is no longer suffering anymore :'(

Thanks again [email protected] your comments are always very useful and appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts