Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nothing but a DNA test will tell you for sure. Have you got any guesses? Who did you get him from? Did they offer any guesses? Will the vet hazard a guess for you?

Recently, one of our local shelters was offering DNA tests through a private company with some proceeds benefiting the shelter. It wasn't terribly expensive. If you're curious enough you should look into it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
looks like a Pyr mix of some kind maybe? and breed DNA tests are notorously inaccurate and not work the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great Pyrenese was my first guess. Maybe an Akbash (I've seem then around my area, I don't know how common an Akbash is in your area)

Nothing but a DNA test will tell you for sure.
I sincerely wish this were true, I would love it if DNA tests could solve mutt mysteries! :) DNA is useful to determine maternity and paternity in purebred dogs (where owners require proof of the genes) but they're not accurate in determining the breed(s) of a dog. Domestic dogs are all one species, and most breeds are very new (new in terms relative to DNA patterns) so a DNA test is little more than a guess.

Example of someone who had a DNA test done on their purebred (papered) dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i was thinking a pyr mix too, because of his coat and eyes and mannerisms, but he doesnt have the body type (he's very slim).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
His build/face/head shape are all wrong for a Pyrenees. The only thing Pyr-like that I could maybe contribute to him being part Pyr is the fur.
But that could come from anywhere - also.

I'd go with a mix of multiple dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He looks a lot like my friend's dog, who is a pyrenese akita mix. Does he have the extra dew claw?
I have done the dna test on both on my last dogs and find them to be a good purchase both times. I have a degree in biological science, so i understand how the test works, and why some people get results that they think are false. Still both times, I knew that the mother was a pure breed and the father was a midnight visitor. Both tests came back with the right breed on the mother and logical results on the father. If you have the 60 bucks to spend, I say go for, they are a fun thing to do for yourself and your dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts