Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new puppy and i keep seeing pictures of a breed I like, but there are never any descriptions along with the pictures. I have tried using google reverse image search but that hasn't helped. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
That looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy. But don't pick a dog based on looks alone! Make sure their breed traits are compatible with your personality.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, a BMD is not for everyone. I love the way huskies look, but I couldn't possibly keep up with that kind energy. Both me and the dog would be completely miserable. You really need to consider temperament, exercise and training needs, size, trainability (if you're new to dogs, a dog that's difficult to train won't be a good first choice), etc. For example, my husband loves cane corsos. Loves them. But he runs a recording studio out of our basement. Cane corsos do not do well with lots of strangers coming and going all the time. (They're bred as guard dogs.) So, for us, at this time in our lives, a cane corso would be a terrible choice and we won't do it.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Also, with berners, you REALLY have to buy from an excellent breeder. The BMD is not a terribly healthy breed, and you'll want to buy from someone responsible who works to minimize health issues in their lines. Even well-bred berners don't often live very long, though. I'll quote Wikipedia here because it has a good roundup (all bolding mine):

Health surveys of Bernese Mountain Dogs in Denmark, Britain, the United States, and Canada show that this breed is very short-lived compared to breeds of similar size and purebred dogs in general. Bernese Mountain Dogs have a median longevity of seven years in Denmark, the U.S., and Canada and eight years in the UK surveys. By comparison, most other breeds of similar size have median longevities of 10 to 11 years. The longest lived of 394 deceased Bernese Mountain Dogs in a 2004 UK survey died at 15.2 years.

Cancer is the leading cause of death for dogs in general, but Bernese Mountain Dogs have a much higher rate of fatal cancer than other breeds; in both U.S./Canada and UK surveys, nearly half of Bernese Mountain Dogs died of cancer, compared to about 27% of all dogs. Bernese Mountain Dogs are killed by a multitude of different types of cancer, including malignant histiocytosis, mast cell tumor, lymphosarcoma, fibrosarcoma, and osteosarcoma.

Bernese Mountain Dogs also have an unusually high mortality due to musculoskeletal causes. Arthritis, hip dysplasia, and cruciate ligament rupture were reported as the cause of death in 6% of Bernese Mountain Dogs in the UK study; for comparison, mortality due to musculoskeletal ailments was reported to be less than 2% for purebred dogs in general.
Australian shepherds can look similar; they can be tricolor. So can border collies. However, both of those are very active, intelligent breeds, so you'd have to be sure they fit your lifestyle! Never buy a dog based on looks alone.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Such a cute puppy, looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog to me aswell, if you google or whatever search engine you guys use then you will find lots more pics and info on the breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts