Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps :wave: to keep this story short(ish) Ill go straight into it.....We recently bought a little puppy that was listed (by the shop) as a Jack Russell cross Yorkshire Terrier.....Now, we have some dog exp but we haven't had a dog from their puppy stage before so we just assumed that it was exactly what they said it was.

However....we took her to the vets yesterday as she has the symptoms of Mange, which she has contracted so she's losing her hair slightly but we have the medication for that now.....anyway the vet said that she has Jack Russell in her but the cross breed in her is possibly Rottweiler?!?! We have looked and looked for ages on the internet but we just cant work out what she is. We will take her to the vets or wherever we can to get it verified for certain but if anyone can help for now that'd be great.

She is 9 weeks old, I can see some Rotty in her....I think....but we are just completly unsure now! She is a lovely little puppy though, no matter what breed(s) she has :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
There would be a huge difference in size from a Yorkie mix to a Rott mix, LOL. How big is she? Many people (and vets aren't immune) will call any black-and-tan dog a Rott or Dobe mix. But Yorkies are black-and-tan, too. . .

Most vets aren't breed experts. A vet's guess isn't any better than anybody else's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well her size is as accurate as possible from the photo's, they were only taken 5/6 days ago apart from the one where she is been held (blue top, about 1 1/2 weeks ago).

There are so many similar crosses its silly, Collie and Jack had some similar pics, And nearly anything crossed with a Rottweiler......bloody pets huh :help: lol

Her body is quite chunky, short legs, big feet and walks like a big dog but because she is a puppy its hard to tell, especially at only 9weeks old. And the vet wasn't saying it for definitely, he was just pointing out that she has very similar markings/characteristics of a Rotty.

EDIT* After a bit more research I have come across this breed, American Hunt Terrier, Closest ive come to finding her match!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=american+hunt+terrier&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=oEiYT5LDPK3Q4QTLs8HFBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
how much does she weight?

Almost every black and tan marked dog is called a rotti X.

Vets are not end all of everything, and really dont know everything. So i wouldnt take much advice breed mix wise. Same as from a pet shop. Pet shops buy from places with bad breedings or brookers. So evern pet shops dont know for sure what they have. They dont care either, they are in the market to make money. which is what they do when people buy from these disgusting places

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
By "how big", I mean how much does she weigh? A Rott pup would be 15 pounds by her age. Even a mix would probably be at least 10 pounds. They're BIG dogs.

Would you be disappointed if she is part Rott? They really are lovely dogs if raised right. I detect a little breed bias in some of your comments, though. If you're terribly picky about what kind of dog you get, I don't know why you'd buy from a pet shop. Alway buy directly from the breeder if you want to know what you're getting.

ETA: also, if you want to know what a dog will look like when it's grown, you should get a purebred. All mixed breeds will look different, even if they're the same mix.

But, all that said, I don't see any reason to doubt the Yorkie/JRT mix guess.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I really doubt she's a yorkie x rotti mix. Lots of dogs have that black and tan colouring: yorkies, miniature pincers, a wide variety of hounds, dachsunds, just off the top of my head.

It's so hard to tell at that age. Puppies, like babies, tend to all look alike. It'll be more obvious as she matures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts