Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Wow Abbylynn, that pup sure has long legs. Aren't Jack Russell Terriers supposed to be the short legged version of the Parson Russell Terrier?

Kurt, if the pups have papers of a legitimate registry, they're probably purebred. On that first pic it says 'national kennel club'. I'm not familiar with it, maybe someone else can say more about it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Wow Abbylynn, that pup sure has long legs. Aren't Jack Russell Terriers supposed to be the short legged version of the Parson Russell Terrier?

Kurt, if the pups have papers of a legitimate registry, they're probably purebred. On that first pic it says 'national kennel club'. I'm not familiar with it, maybe someone else can say more about it.
She may not have been a well bred one? It was my Parent's pup. I only know she had papers........... She may have been at a stage in her growth where they tend to look out of proportion? Not sure. I believe she was around 12 weeks old there and very small. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts

"The Jack Russell is a broad type, with a size range of 10–15 inches (25–38 cm), the Parson Russell is limited only to a middle range with a standard size of 12–14 inches (30–36 cm), while the Russell terrier is smaller at 8–12 inches (20–30 cm), however each breed has different physical proportions according to the standards of their breed clubs."
(with a grain of salt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier)

·
Registered
221 Posts
That dog might be purebred. But that paper seems phony. JRTs are registered with JRT clubs or with the FCI. NOT some sketchy kennel club

As to what they should look like. The dog that Abbylynn posted might be purebred but it is NOT a good structural example of the breed. A JRT should be as long as they are tall. A PRT and a JRT are basically the same, except for politics and that PRTs are at the big (and less useful) end of the height spectrum.
A sturdy, tough terrier, very much on its toes all the time, measuring between 10" and 15" at the withers. The body length must be in proportion to the height, and it should present a compact, balanced image, always being in solid, hard condition.
ie must be as long as they are tall.. a square dog.
http://www.therealjackrussell.com/jrtca/standard.php

A few examples. This is Seren a blurry pic, but you can see her structure. She is an excellent example of the breed and comes from kennel that is known not only for their (bronze medallion) hunting dogs but conformation champions as well.

a less blurry pic, but shows less structure.

JRTs are very much a type. Here is Kat a half sister to the dog above and one I bred (sadly we lost her this summer) Very sad.. best JRT ever.

She is a bit light in the bone, but more for looks than actual ability to hunt or do well in conformation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of Kat ... she was beautiful. I did think that the dog I posted was maybe not well bred ... I am no authority on JRT's at all. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thats ok. Its hard because they are a type more than a breed. I have seen many a purebred that looks like that. And they are all cute! Even between working JRTs there is a lot of variation. One thing that doesn't vary though is that they have small chests and decent legs.

Thanks for the condolences. It was utterly shocking and devastating. To me she was the epitome of what, temperamentally, a JRT should be, my next breeding dog and simply one of the best companions I will ever have the privilege of sharing my life with.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Their ears are fine. Prick ears are a fault.

Seren has huge floppy ears. I can cover her eyes with them lol and then ask her where she is (I am sooo mean :) ) Dekka and my other JRTs have much smaller ears that cannot cover their eyes (no matter how hard I pull /jk) Ears are not really judged. As long as they are there, kinda triangular and not prick all is good. Ears generally don't make a hunting dog.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Maybe I used the wrong terminology, I know they're not supposed to have prick ears, but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be floppy at that age shown in the photo, and mine had half prick ears. So the tip was folded down, as you would expect in a JRT.

Also, I think those puppies look too big to be JRT's, my JRT x has grown to be JRT size, and he was about half the size of those puppies when I got him at 12 weeks. I think they look a bit houndy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had puppies that had ears like that at that age. They don't have to have more upright ears (mine tend to have the higher ear set) as I said ears are not something JRT breeders are concerned about as long as they aren't standing up. I had one with almost beagle ears.

THIS is a very well bred JRT!! Just because it doesn't look 'right' doesn't mean it isn't purebred, or even well bred.

The sitting one is his littermate. (I had bought as a breeding bitch.. that didn't work out lol) I have no idea what they were a throwback too.. but their parents were from well known and good lines. (confo/performance/hunting)

They are large.. but I know of a breeder who likes them large. Her puppies at 6 months are the size of my adults!! (My dogs are about 11 inches) I am not saying they are well bred, I am just saying its plausable they are purebred.

How is this for houndy looking lol?

Her dam was from one of the top JRT confo/hunting kennels in the US.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have never bred JRT's but have had them for 14 years and am a huge fan. Something about those puppies doesn't look quite right. The head shape is just off somehow. They do look like they have JRT in them but I would say not pure JRT. Just my.02!

Dekka I love that last picture. That is one gorgeous JRT!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have always been under the impression the Jack Russel and the Parson Russel were two different breeds... then again, when I learned of the existence of the Russel terrier, I was genuinely confused :help:

So as I understand now, all three breeds aren't actually breeds but rather types of one encompassing breed that's simply called 'Jack Russel'? Please tell me if misunderstand.

Dekka, may have your opinion on the following Jack Russel Terriers? This is what I'm used to seeing daily and what I referred to in my first post in this thread when I said 'short legged version'. The only Jack Russels I've ever known are short legged and have relatively long bodies.

Jack russel terrier IV.jpg Jack russel terrier III.jpg
jack russel terrier II.jpg jack russel terrier.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
A JRT should be as long as they are tall. A PRT and a JRT are basically the same, except for politics and that PRTs are at the big (and less useful) end of the height spectrum.
So then what are all the ones I see in our neighborhood who basically look like the dogs you posted (absolutely beautiful dogs btw, stunning!) only with half the leg length?

LOL, Avie, just read your post. We had the very same question.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The ones on the right look like the FCI JRTs. Still to big in the chest to hunt though. We tend to call those puddins.

The reason they are more of a type than a breed is because the parent club (in the UK) and the satalite clubs (like the ones in Can and US) strive to keep the working type. One of the mandates is to keep them out of kennel clubs. (fun fact.. the JRT and the Fox terrier used to be the same breed, the FT went into the confo ring and now couldn't hunt fox if their lives depended on it. They just aren't built to go down holes anymore!) So the PRT, the FCI JRT and the Russel terrier (the UKC shortie jacks) are all off shoots of the original working type that for what ever reason people wanted to stick in a KC.

If you look at old paintings, and the hunting dogs used by Reverend Parson Russell they don't have short legs. They were meant to have enough length of leg to keep up with a hunt. Short legs were not so useful. As far as I know only the non KC JRTs are still hunting. I don't hear too much of any other variety still being hunted. In the JRTCA/JRTCC/etc the top confo classes are ONLY for hunting dogs. So dogs who can't hunt (due to lack of drive, or conformation) won't be even eligible to enter. I really like this as it keeps things like ear shape from becoming important. What remains important is what makes a jack a jack.

That said the JRT clubs are pretty welcoming of the shorties and dogs who only look vaguely JRT because due to the genetic diversity in the breed things pop up. Like those strangely chi type JRTs I posted above. They just aren't welcome to be registered for breeding (in the JRT clubs only breeding stock is registered.. and its more than just having purebred parents. All others are recorded)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
where is Seren from Dekka? she and Kat look super similer to a(now retired) bronze medallian bitch I used to know..made me curious as seoon as I saw her picture lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts