Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am living in southern Mexico and have adopted a young dog from the street. We are moving back to the States and will not be able to keep the dog. My nephew in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - where it gets lots of snow - has offered to take him. Will the dog be able adapt and thrive in this climate change?

·
Registered
948 Posts
wow, from the south of Mexico to the UP, that's the definition of "one extreme to the other." The dog will adapt, I have no doubt about that. The question is, is it well-suited for the harsh winter? If not it'll have to stay inside most of the time. Pretty much any dog can tolerate cold & snow long enough to poop & pee, but will this individual dog tolerate being indoors that much, if it can't stay outside long enough to get the exercise it needs.

[disclaimer -- this is just an opinion based on my knowlege & experience with dogs in general, without direct experience in this particular situation, or prefessional training]

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs can definitely adjust, but I wouldn't keep a dog outside in cold snowy weather unless they were a Husky type breed, and had shleter. A shorter haired dog, or non husky dog should have inside access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, from the south of Mexico to the UP, that's the definition of "one extreme to the other." The dog will adapt, I have no doubt about that. The question is, is it well-suited for the harsh winter? If not it'll have to stay inside most of the time. Pretty much any dog can tolerate cold & snow long enough to poop & pee, but will this individual dog tolerate being indoors that much, if it can't stay outside long enough to get the exercise it needs.

[disclaimer -- this is just an opinion based on my knowlege & experience with dogs in general, without direct experience in this particular situation, or prefessional training]
That's really my question: Will the dog be able to adapt to the UP winter? He's not a tiny Chihuahua-type dog, but he's not big (maybe 10 kilos) and not long-haired. He will sleep inside and probably be in the house much of the time, and two young kids will have him outside playing quite a lot I think. I lived in Ohio where we sometimes had temperatures around 100 degrees in August and some serious snow in the winter. (Think 118 inches in 2004-2005) While our dogs slept in the house, they seemed to make it through both the heat and the cold alright. This dog is less than 2 years old so I'm hoping he'll get into it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
As long as he's a housedog there shouldn't be any problem. He may or may not learn to enjoy playing in the snow, but he should at least learn how to run out and pee real fast :p.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
That kind of transition would probably be easier for a dog than for a human.

I had a friend move to Wisconsin from southern California and she lasted exactly one winter.

In fairness, it was the coldest, snowiest winter in recent decades.

Of the five dogs in our family, the one that loves the winter and snow the most is the one that came form Missouri. The rest are all Wisconsin and Minnesota dogs and they'd rather be indoors when the cold winds blow.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I moved from Houston, TX to Columbus, OH with a GSD x Dobie that had fur a little longer than a Dobie... maybe like a Lab. He had no trouble sleeping in the snow, but I kept him in the house when the temp was below 27 degrees, altho I walked him in all weather.

So, yes, dogs adapt....

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's really my question: Will the dog be able to adapt to the UP winter? He's not a tiny Chihuahua-type dog, but he's not big (maybe 10 kilos) and not long-haired. He will sleep inside and probably be in the house much of the time, and two young kids will have him outside playing quite a lot I think. I lived in Ohio where we sometimes had temperatures around 100 degrees in August and some serious snow in the winter. (Think 118 inches in 2004-2005) While our dogs slept in the house, they seemed to make it through both the heat and the cold alright. This dog is less than 2 years old so I'm hoping he'll get into it and enjoy it.
sorry, didn't mean to be obtuse -- point being, a chihuahua would be fine cause they don't require a lot of romping around outside, a lab or husky would be ok because of their heavy winter coat. A cold-tolerant dog who's become accustomed to living in a temperate climate should be able to make the transition without complaint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts