Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. I'm thinking of getting another dog. We currently own 4yr old cocker spaniel (not sure which type he is tho). His a great dog! Curious about everything. He has met a lot of dogs during the time he has grown up, but the dogs he has met haven't broke into a fight or anything.

For a while now, I've been trying to find a breed that would be a great mix for to get along with. I was thinking about getting beagle, labrador, doberman, or rottiweiler. Could someone please tell if any of these breeds would be great fit for the family with the current dog? will his age be problem? what would be a better breed if any of those wouldn't work.

P.S. Either breed I decide to get will be a female regardless. I heard 2 males turn the house into a territory fight and I don't need that lol.

Thank you for your in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Nobody can answer that with certainty, as it depends on the dogs themselves. If possible an introduction of dogs might help.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
To say the same thing in different words:
1. It always depends on the dog
2. Two well socialized dogs - male - male, male- female, female-female will play under the right circumstances.
3. However, they may not be well-socialized enough ... and could fight...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think most of the time pairs of animals tend to get along better if they're the opposite sex. Not always the case, though, I realize.
The larger breeds might be rough players when they get older, though. You might want to take that into consideration.
If possible, you could introduce the individuals to see if they seem to get along or not.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I probably wouldn't go for such a large breed without being able to try them out together before comitting. If it doesn't go well, it can be bad. The cocker might have more fun with someone closer to his size.
Two neutered male dogs can be good together. Mixed sex is usually ok as well. Two females can be the riskiest option, although I've had a female cocker and a female GSD/Boxer mix that adored each other.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if you go with a Rottie, I'd suggest a puppy. Your Cocker needs to feel like he's still number one, and a Rottie might push him around a bit. (that's how they herd, push with their chest)

If you want to rescue an adult, you should probably get someone similar in size with a submissive temperment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go with a breed that isn't prone to dog aggression in the least, and get it while it's still a puppy. Or, get an adult from the shelter. The key is to make sure it plays nicely with your smaller dog, and - most importantly - that when it plays too rough, and the smaller dog "corrects" it, the big dog backs off and doesn't look at that as a "challenge."

My personal experience - Rough Collies are great with small dogs. Stay away from German Shepherds. That's just my experience, every dog is an individual and all that.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My experience is a well socialized Rottie in the right home can get along with anything. Birds, dogs, cats, horses, rabbits. It is all about the socialization and the monitoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts