Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My puppy has reactions to vaccines but we decided to get him vaccinated anyway. Yesterday he got a shot of azium and benadryl before his paro shot (were doing one shot at a time with the proper precautions)

He didn't have a reaction at all yesterday and he has been acting completely himself. Just now, 24 hours later, he threw up. He is acting fine and hyper and happy. Do you think this has anything to do with the vaccine yesterday? An suggestions on what you think I can do? I called the vet and they said to take his temperature analy. I don't really know how to do that....is it neccesary? HELP! Thank you so much. Abbie.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That doesn't sound like a reaction to the vaccine. It could just be an upset stomach from the stress of the vet visit. I'd watch him today and see if he still looks normal later on. If there is any doubt, take him in to the vet.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Puppies throw up ... sometimes from just eating or drinking too fast. Usually a reaction with the vaccine will make him lethargic or spacey.

On the other hand, for future reference, you should develop a feeling for his normal temperature, energy level, nose dampness, etc. For example, my dog feels cooler to me (still warm, but cooler in the winter), and has a somewhat dry nose - all normal for him.

Also, I don't recommend this now, but you can get an electronic thermometer or use an anal thermometer from the drugstore. Shake the mercury down, then Insert the anal thermometer with a small coating of vaseline, while the dog stands (if reliable) or remains lying down. Leave in for 30 sec. to a min. ... Normal temp. can range from 100.5 F - 102.5 F depending on the individual dog.

I don't usually take my dog's temperature, b/c I know what he feels like ... you may not have owned your pup long enough to know what feels normal ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts