Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this chihuahua/terrier mix, i took her to a new area today, she kept urinating at least 7 or 8 times, even though she only has a few drops left. i suppose that it is her way of marking her presence, but is that what dogs do when they visit a new area?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I once had a dog who tended to do the exact same thing. It is indeed a matter of leaving one's mark. Dog's will leave their scent not only for other dogs' references, but their own as well, for future visits.
As Spicy1_VV said though, if the behaviour continues at home, your dog may well have an infection.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
My black lab could mark every tree, telephone pole, fire hydrant and blade of grass on a six-mile walk and still have a little squirt left for the oak tree in the front yard when we got home.

It was an amazing, though not particularly marketable, talent.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yes...my dogs pee multiple times on walks...mostly my males, but my female used to pee a small amount frequently when she was a younger puppy...how old is your dog? If she does this all the time, you may want to have her checked out for an infection...mine did not have an infection and now no longer does this, seems to have out grown it, but I've heard of females marking too, so...

·
Registered
964 Posts
If this is just a isolated thing, then I would not worry about it. If it happens all the time, get her checked. My three year old dog went eleven times within a mile walk. It was constant. We got her checked out and she had a bladder stone she was trying to get rid of. It may not be that with your dog though. They do like to mark their territory.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I've noticed a lot of female chihuahua's mark their territory, I know of a few that even lift their legs.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I was under the impression that it was impossible for a dog to run out of urine... Maybe that's just because both dogs I've had could mark everything on a 2 mile walk, 4 miles round trip and still mark when they get him...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well I think Max hoards his pee so he can reply to his hundreds of peemails (thanks RonE for that term) on each and every walk. Which is why when we go out for a quick potty break I may sure he pees at least twice before we go back in.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Tiberius marks every single snow bank in every single driveway on our mile walks. We walk about three miles throughout the day...and he does this on every walk. Except the yard with the two attack Poms...he won't mark that yard.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I was walking my cocker spaniel and two growling and snarling rottweilers came running up to their fence going nuts. My cocker walked over there and promptly marked the fence right in front of them. Cracked me up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Except the yard with the two attack Poms...he won't mark that yard.

Poms being attack dogs? I have a attack dog then. LOL
I think these two think they are rottis or some other large breed dog (Rotti was the first thing that came to mind because their neighbor dog is a rotti). Their owners have beware of dog signs...and they aren't nice. I hate those two little ankle biters and I normally love Poms. Poor Tiberius (who could probably eat one of them in a couple bites) is afraid of their yard even when its empty. Although today he let a little yippy bark out at them when they started toward us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts