Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I let my dog out I put a leash that's attached to a runner on his so he doesn't run away. Sometimes he'll spot a rabbit and take off at full speed until he gets to the end of the leash. It's a little scary. He's a 40lb French bull dog boxer mix so he's pretty medium size.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Maybe not actually break his neck, unless he hits really hard, but damage to his spine and throat is a distinct possibility. If your absolutely only option is to tie him out on a runner, then I highly recommend using a Y front harness instead of a collar. Building him an enclosure where he can be safely contained is an even better option, even if it's just a chain link pen.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I like the harness suggestion too. and some time spent being there with them,to help them learn how to be tied out. It's pretty boring I know, I spend much of my time working on simple skills for simple routines in our daily environment. It does pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
excessive as in the time to put it on and take it off? if it protect them don't you think it's worth it? you an always to out with them every time you don't feel like putting them on the harness. Or maybe get a faster quick release harness if that is what takes so much time?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Then try either a step-in harness (fiddly, and not my favorite style, to be honest), or one like the Front Range where you have two snaps on the girth strap and all you have to do is slip it on over his head an then fasten it (takes about a minute to do).

If you flat out don't want to take the 60 or so seconds it would take to put a harness on him, then use a super wide collar (like 2 to 3" wide) to help distribute the pressure caused by him hitting the end of the line. Also, using a bungee-type line between the runner cable and his collar will help.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It's not excessive to have to put the harness on. It's part of having the dog. The tie out is a convenience thing, so you might as well make it safe for him, rather than have it be convenient for you but also irresponsible knowingly putting him at risk of serious injury (and also just a generally unpleasant and painful experience). Otherwise, you could just walk him. I understand it's easier to put them out on the tie out but if I didn't have a safe way to do that, or wasn't willing to, then I wouldn't have a tie out and the dog would go out on a leash for potty breaks and regular walks.

Alternatively, I see a lot of people putting bunjee type cords on tie outs and using a bunjee leash to help break some of the impact. That said, I'd still NEVER tie out a dog on a collar, even with the bunjee.

·
Registered
103 Posts
And so your question would be ....? Does he know to halt before the end of the leash? What kind of a "runner?" Tie-outs are not exactly optimal, because they often go unsupervised. However I've used (2) 20 ft. (canvas) training leads, standing in the center of a circle, and allowing by "bird crazy" dog to exercise at times. Because there has been no safe "off leash" space and he still needed the exercise. And (no) he didn't just go in an endless frustrating circle. He randomly investigated the space.

Sorry, I should've added that using a harness is the safest thing. Some dogs (breeds) can damage their necks/esophagus and a harness is just better to avoid any kind of accident!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts