Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I are taking the girls camping with some friends of ours and their little dog, and I'm getting nervous!! Its the first time I have ever taken a dog camping. I got harness for both of them for easier handling and to be able to put them on a tie out, but I have no idea what else to do. I've gotten a copy of their shot records and their up to date on flea and heartworm meds.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I'd take at least one crate, if at all possible - especially if you're going to be in a tent. I'd also make sure their tags have a cellphone number on them. Even if it's masking tape and pen over their regular tags, so you can be reached if something happens before you get home again.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Oh man I camp so much with my dogs its not even funny haha. Its really not that bad though, but that's because I'm used to it I suppose. The first few years we had a tent, and now we have a trailer so that makes it a bit better, but same as you, I use harnesses for when I need to tie them up and long leads,(we ride ATV's when we camp, so the dogs have to stay behind) I tie them up somewhere outside (usually to the trailer steps or hitch) where they can have shelter/shade underneath the trailer, or the truck and I leave a big water bowl, some bones to chew on, and they're good to go, they chill and be good watchdogs of the camp until we come back.

If the weather is really bad or something I leave them in the trailer, but we don't have A/C in the trailer so if its really hot I prefer having them underneath where there's shade, as it can get pretty muggy in the trailer when its hot, and I dump a bag of ice in a huge bowl of water and put under there as well.

Other then that, there's nothing really out of the norm I have to do, other then ensure I pack enough food for the trip, some bones/bully sticks, and that's about it lol.

My dogs love camping and getting out, they go bezerk every time they see us loading up the truck or trailer for a camping/road trip lol.

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is usually the list i have for when I go camping with my dogs

Food ( plenty for the time we are gone)
Toy (just 1-2, usually a rope and ball)
Bones
pet friendly fly/tick/bug spray
Big water bowl and their food bowls
Their harness with id tags
Long leads and reg. leashes
Shot records

thats really it for me when i go. sometimes i may think of something else but usually that's it. I love to go camping with my dogs, it is alot of fun. It isnt to bad i know the first time we went with winter it was a blast and she loved it. Snow hasnt gone yet since when we got her it was winter time.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is it mandatory to carry vaccination records with you wherever you go down there? I found that odd.. but then, I guess they're a bit more sticky about it in the US then they are here. I dont even vaccinate my dogs anymore, they have their first puppy boosters and that is all. But I guess I was curious if people actually check if you have them on you or what the laws are down there regarding that?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think its required but most people do just in case the dogs bite someone or need to be taken to the vet or something random like that. I think some campgrounds might require at least a rabies shot but don't hold me to that.

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! I went camping a ton as a kid but it was in a camper with no pets. This will be camping in a tent with dogs. I'm very excited and will take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Definitely take a long tie out for each of your dogs. If there aren't many trees where you're going, also take those screw in the ground things to attach the tie outs to. Don't leave them out unattended and don't let them bark for any length of time. We're long time campers, and barking is the best way to get the management or campground hosts to make a visit to your site! Just like you, people are there to relax and have some peace and quiet.

Have fun! We've always taken our dogs camping with us, and they love it!

·
Registered
591 Posts
One word of advice , always check the parks you plan on going to and thier rules regarding pets, some national parks don't even allow dogs in the park . Also if there is a danger of bears NEVER leave your pet tied up alone, this leaves them no defense and they can't get away. Put up dog food and treats at night, NOT IN TENT, so critters don't get into it.

Make sure your pet is fully up to date on vacines, wild animals can carry alot of nasty stuff you dont want your babies to get.

Don't let your dog drink from streams, creeks etc, they can get parasites the same as humans, carry a waterbottle for them and you can get those collapsable dog dishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts