Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've learned more about dog body language, I've noticed my dog doing (what seems to me) a fair amount of lip licking, yawning, and head turning. I'm not sure this is a case of just seeing calming signals in everything or if it's actually an issue. On the chance that she does feel threatened by me, what can I do? By nature, I'm very quiet, gentle, patient - the exact opposite of threatening - so I'm not really sure how to respond.

As an example, putting on her collar or easy walk harness elicits licks, yawns, and/or head turns, so I've started pairing the collar/harness with treats (when I remember). I should probably crouch down instead of bending at the waist, too.

What else can I do? It's very upsetting to think that my dog could be frightened of me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Honestly, calming signals are social signals that may not be a sign of fear, or even an undue degree of stress. Some dogs are very free with calming signals, and I would rather see a dog who gives them than a dog who is already tense past the point of being able to communicate that way. When I went to a seminar with Turid Rugaas (the original Calming Signals lady) she had us bend over our dogs. Almost every dog offered a calming signal (my Alice gave a lip lick) Getting in a dog's space bubble creates a little social pressure, and most dogs respond to it - just as you might want to step back when someone gets in your space bubble.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Pawz. I've wondered the same thing with our dog. She shows these signals less with me than with anyone else, but still, I've always wondered.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Pawz. It helps to know that she might just be expressive, not scared. She is a bit of a diva ;)

How cool that you were able to attend a seminar with Rugaas! That must have been a great experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts