Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have recently become very interested in calming signals, how dogs give them (what happens if they dont) how other dogs react to their presence (or lack there of). The place we recently moved, the ranch Forman has a Chihuahua that thinks she os a rottweiler lol lol, she will charge my dogs & bark & growl at them with her tail straight like a snake :p. Izze, doesn't react to this dog at all & communicated very well with calming signals, the prob is Jo. The dog charges her BC she just stands there & stares straight atthe lil thin, I have been telling her a firm no, but she doesnt seem to get it. Im obviouslynot worried about this dog hurting mine, or visa versa, but I worry for Jo in the future with other dog, if she meets a bigger dog like this chi.

What csn I do to give her better social skills?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
You can't teach a dog calming signals, but you can react to them to reinforce them. But the best thing is to socialize them with a lot of different dogs, in lots of different situations so that they can learn the canine social graces from the 'experts.'

I went to one of Turid Rugaas's seminars and watched her react to a dog's calming signals... and watched the dog respond better.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Actually you can train a dog to mimic calming signals, I believe the book "Click to calm" suggests it though I may be confusing it with another.
I think you can definitely reinforce calming signals, I do thing Emma Parsons suggested it. I know Brenda Aloff did. I also know that Turid Rugaas considers the idea unthinkable

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been reading online & have been giving her calming signals when she displays behaviors that are acceptable to me, also when I call her I have been trying (to remember that is... :p) to display calming signals.

Another question... (Cracker... Where are you?????... LOL) when she doesn't read other dogs calming signals, & she gets snarked at for it, does she actually learn anything?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
When she gets feedback (snarked), she should eventually learn. Turid Rugaas's original 1997 story tells about her dog that was exposed to many others, and learned to become a doggie diplomat of calming signals.

Except for yawning and turning, I'm not sure how you can give her many calming signals? On the other hand, we train owners to back off intensity when their dogs gives a tongue flick, and to be prepared for breaking a stay if the dogs yawns or scratches. These activities and others help to reinforce Calming Signals, and the dog will give them more often. Rugaas had speculated that they were subconscious. Regardless, dogs repeat what works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts