Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted our first dog, Benji - a two year old rescue. The first few weeks have been wonderful, but now we are starting to wonder if he has a bit of separation anxiety. I'm hoping to have a trainer come this week to start working on other issues and next week he has another vet appointment so I can discuss the anxiety problems, but I have to survive until then.

Honestly, in comparison to other dogs, Benji is not that bad. He does follow me around the house, but if I'm in one place for a long time he will wander off to lay down or play and do his own thing. However, if I'm constantly moving, so is he. It seems more curious than anything else, so I hadn't really considered it as a sign until I read it.

He's done pretty well with Crate training at night since we moved the crate out of the spare bedroom and into the main living area. The past few nights he has barely even made a sound although he doesn't go in on his own unless I put a treat in first.

During the day crate training has been a different experience though. Mine and my husbands schedules over lap by about two hours. So Benji's been crating for two hours in the afternoons between my leaving and the husbands arriving home. He's chewed and scratched at his crate and bedding as well as cried to the point that we curiously decided to see if he would do better outside of it.

He has in the sense that he hasn't chewed anything yet, but we have noticed he cries when we leave and from standing outside, it sounds like he's wandering around the main areas of the house looking for me while he cries. We've tried to leave treats in his Kong to entertain him, but it's untouched until we get home - then he decides it's time to play with it. He has also only had two accidents (peeing) in the house - both times after we returned from being gone.

This week my husband is gone on a trip for four days. One day of which I will be gone for about 4.5 hours for work. I bought Sentry Calming chews to see if this helps while I'm away. Reviews were hard to find on this product, so I'm just wondering if anyone has tried them and if so what your thoughts are on them?

I know there are others with Lavender, but I've noticed when I wear my lavender lip balm, if he comes in for a kiss he sneezes immediately. So I worry he might have allergies to it. (He definitely has some allergies as is.)

If you have any other recommendations please let me know. We live in a condo, so I worry about neighbors complaining. Last night we celebrated our two year anniversary and the whole time we were at dinner I was worried about our dog crying and disturbing the neighbors. Which is really sad considering my husband worked so hard to put together a really lovely evening.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Other herbs that have a suspected calming effect include St. John's Wort and Valerian root, but I'm just starting to look for calming chews for my pup so I don't have much other advice to offer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Other herbs that have a suspected calming effect include St. John's Wort and Valerian root, but I'm just starting to look for calming chews for my pup so I don't have much other advice to offer!
Hi Ginger, thank you for the info. Just in case you haven't tried the Sentry calming chews yet, I thought I'd tell you about our experience with them.

Benji has been on them since my last post. He had his first Boarding experience a week ago and they forgot to put his calming chews back in his bag. So he was off them for 48 hours before I was able to pick them up.

That was when I realized how much of a difference they really make, especially when it comes to his nervousness around others. He doesn't army crawl on the leash, he doesn't bark excessively at other dogs while on the leash or behind the fence at the dog park as they pass, he's more chill when they are inside the fence with him and he doesn't growl at other people who catch him off guard (ie: neighbors coming out of their condo) or if they come near him - all things he did before the chews and things he started doing again during those 48 hours.

We've been back on the chews a few days now and he's slowly relaxing again. Even neighbors at the dog park are surprised by the difference they make. My husband and I both agree we will continue to use them for the coming months and maybe try to ween him off in the spring when he's more settled.

I know every dog will have a diff experience, but I def recommend trying them.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hi Ginger, thank you for the info. Just in case you haven't tried the Sentry calming chews yet, I thought I'd tell you about our experience with them.

Benji has been on them since my last post. He had his first Boarding experience a week ago and they forgot to put his calming chews back in his bag. So he was off them for 48 hours before I was able to pick them up.

That was when I realized how much of a difference they really make, especially when it comes to his nervousness around others. He doesn't army crawl on the leash, he doesn't bark excessively at other dogs while on the leash or behind the fence at the dog park as they pass, he's more chill when they are inside the fence with him and he doesn't growl at other people who catch him off guard (ie: neighbors coming out of their condo) or if they come near him - all things he did before the chews and things he started doing again during those 48 hours.

We've been back on the chews a few days now and he's slowly relaxing again. Even neighbors at the dog park are surprised by the difference they make. My husband and I both agree we will continue to use them for the coming months and maybe try to ween him off in the spring when he's more settled.

I know every dog will have a diff experience, but I def recommend trying them.
Thank you for the update!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts