Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so Im watching the extended version of RotK and I have a puzzlement...

There is a scene where the Witch King of Angband breaks Gandalf's staff...

but...Gandalf took out the Balrog.

now if I remember correctly from the books, the Balrog was a servant of Morgoth, who was at one point master of Sauron.

this scene seems to be a discrepancy. Can someone set me straight or is this just more movie meddling? I can't remember right now...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
There was actually a thread regarding WK vs. Balrog strength a long while back on another LotR board -goes to search-

Found it -
http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=90225&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=df2c0451b76b14786e3a500e1467477d

According to them (because I sadly, did not remember the specific details either), Gandalf's staff being broken is purely a thing of the movies. So I'd take it as something that was done to increase the drama of that moment with a little bit of oversight as to what may be the actual lore. That or they were were of the opinion that the WK was ultimately stronger.

I think one important thing to remember though, when gaging how powerful each is, is the fact that the WK was to be killed by 'no man' while the Balrog had no such limitations (that I'm aware of). So even IF it was ultimately more powerful, I would guess the Balrog was more susceptible to Gandalf's attacks where as the WK was pretty untouchable for awhile. That's just pure speculation, though.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
That was just in the movie version from what I recall. (I need to re-read the books, but I just watched the extended movies last week, lol!)

It always bothered me though. The movie stayed pretty true to the books but there were a few things that they did in the movies that just didn't make sense. (Like Saruman falling off the tower and impaling himself for one).

I used to be a lot more LOTR savvy than I am now (Hence the chosen screen name). I need to brush up on that. XD

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the Saruman thing pissed me off because when I first heard they were making movies I was so excited at the prospect of seeing the Battle of Bywater...and they didnteven go there...they just threw Saruman off of Orthanc....cheaters..:mad:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yeah, but you have to remember that they just don't have time to show the whole battle of Bywater, unfortunately, it had to be just a footnote in the movie to explian to those who never read LOTR the what and why of the events in the movie. :(

Yes the breaking of Gandalfs staff IS just a dramatic scene in the movie.

They also left out one of my favorite parts of the return to the shire, when they clean out the shire of Saruman's minions and chase Saruman out of the Shire.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
They also left out one of my favorite parts of the return to the shire, when they clean out the shire of Saruman's minions and chase Saruman out of the Shire.
I was also sad about that...its one of my favorites too....I need to re read the books again...its been forever:eek:

all in all I was happy w/the movies.....its so hard to see some of my favorite books turn into movies because they just lose so much in transition.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I really do love the movies. I've never seen another book or series be turned into a movie that I was that happy with.

I think Bywater was just too long. There are only so many endings a movie can have if you know what I mean. ;) Still it was odd having them go back to a happy, normal looking shire in the end.

I AM happy however that they cut out Tom Bombadil!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
the Battle of Bywater is the one where they kick Saruman out of theshire.

LOL, ok, I haven't read the book in a year so I didn't remember the name of the event! I've also only had one cup of coffee this morning.:eek:

So, who was disappointed that they glossed over the ent story line?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Lol, thumbs up to that. I know Tom had a special significance and all that but seriously...not the most thrilling part of the story to read. At least not for me.
Lol, he just plain ticked me off! :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I liked Bombadil...but we won't start that war.

as for the Ents...I always had this fondness for the young 'hasty' ent. I was a little sad they cut him out..

I understand the whole thing about time constraints and whatnot but that doesn't stop me from being miffed....

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
They could've at least put some in the extended additions. It's already 5 hours, what's one or two more! (Hey, I would've watched them!)

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They could've at least put some in the extended additions. It's already 5 hours, what's one or two more! (Hey, I would've watched them!)

seriously..a lot of people would have watched them...there are some HARDCORE lotr nuts out there...

I wouldve watched it if is was freaking TEN hours long...

·
Registered
861 Posts
don't get me started on movie/book discrepancies.

but i have to say while i was initially annoyed by tom bombadil's appearance, i have a sort of fondness for his character. i feel that he serves his purpose and he serves it darn well! haha.

one of these days i would love to try and sit through all of the movies, but i doubt i could do it just because i get so angry at frodo! some of my professors have sat through all three extended editions, and it took them 13 hours...i love LOTR and all but :eek:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I watched the movies recently too, but I havent watched the extended versions since September:( I bought the hobbit from Borders and plan on reading all the books soon. Plus I read in a magazine this morning that a film version of the Hobbit will be released December 2011! It will be split into 2 parts with the second movie released December 2012, I think....But you guys probably knew all that already right?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yeah, Peter Jackson bought the film rights to that a long time ago so I'm not surprised. I'm not really as big a fan of the Hobbit as the Hobbits themselves weren't my favorite race (I'm honestly more of a Gondor/Rohan/Elves and Men kind of fan) but I'm sure it'll be good. It'll be interesting to see how they do Smog. So many movies ruin dragons...but just based on the LotR movies, it's possible they might pull it off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Geez, Cece. You can be a good friend with my wife. She's a straight up geek who watches all thsoe movies like LOTR, Harry potter, Star Trek, etc...
Me? I'm not interested any of those.

-n

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There was actually a thread regarding WK vs. Balrog strength a long while back on another LotR board -goes to search-

Found it -
http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=90225&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=df2c0451b76b14786e3a500e1467477d

According to them (because I sadly, did not remember the specific details either), Gandalf's staff being broken is purely a thing of the movies. So I'd take it as something that was done to increase the drama of that moment with a little bit of oversight as to what may be the actual lore. That or they were were of the opinion that the WK was ultimately stronger.

I think one important thing to remember though, when gaging how powerful each is, is the fact that the WK was to be killed by 'no man' while the Balrog had no such limitations (that I'm aware of). So even IF it was ultimately more powerful, I would guess the Balrog was more susceptible to Gandalf's attacks where as the WK was pretty untouchable for awhile. That's just pure speculation, though.
Ditto. You beat me to it.

Major LOTR fan here. ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts