Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I'm new to this forum and the amount of information on it is great. Although there seems to be lots about struvite/calcium oxalate stones, I haven't found much on calcium phosphate stones. Can someone tell me the difference.

My puppy (cocker spaniel) at 8 weeks old had to have emergency surgery to remove a stone (it had moved from his bladder and was blocking his urethra). The report on the stone said that it was: mg ammonium phos. hexahydrate (struvite) - nidus 25% and stone 95%. Calcium phosphate (carbonate form): nidus 75% and stone 5%.

He pulled through and it now doing great. My vet has put him on Royal Canin vegetarian (forever - it is so expensive.) I make sure he has loads of water. I'm looking at other foods (grain free, of course) and saw on this site that cranberry extract was good to give as it makes a more acidic environment. My question is would it be OK to give cranberry extract to my puppy who had a calcium phospate urolithiasis.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi there - I'm new to this forum and the amount of information on it is great. Although there seems to be lots about struvite/calcium oxalate stones, I haven't found much on calcium phosphate stones. Can someone tell me the difference.

My puppy (cocker spaniel) at 8 weeks old had to have emergency surgery to remove a stone (it had moved from his bladder and was blocking his urethra). The report on the stone said that it was: mg ammonium phos. hexahydrate (struvite) - nidus 25% and stone 95%. Calcium phosphate (carbonate form): nidus 75% and stone 5%.

He pulled through and it now doing great. My vet has put him on Royal Canin vegetarian (forever - it is so expensive.) I make sure he has loads of water. I'm looking at other foods (grain free, of course) and saw on this site that cranberry extract was good to give as it makes a more acidic environment. My question is would it be OK to give cranberry extract to my puppy who had a calcium phospate urolithiasis.

Thanks for your help.
I don't know much about calcium phosphate stones but you may want to ask your vet before adding.the cranberry extract. You don't want to make the urine too acidic as it may cause calcium oxylate stones (which require surgery to remove). Did your vet explain why he put your dog.on a.vegetarian diet as opposed to a urinary formula? My only suggestion is to make sure your dog gets lots of water. Add it to her food or use no salt chicken broth. I think Solid Gold makes something called Berry Balance which is supposed to help with urinary health but again, ask your vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts