Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 5 year old Sheltie was licking herself a lot. After close inspection, we decided to bring her to the vet ( with a urine sample). She was diagnosed with UTI, her urine contained a lot of crystal oxalate, white blood cells but no blood cell at all. She was put on antibiotics and Xrays where taken. The vet recommend that the stone be removed surgically as his suspicion is crystal oxalate stone according to the urinalysis. He also put her on Royal Canin urinary S/O diet.
Our concern is: Our sheltie has no other signs or symptoms. She drinks, eat, plays, urinate normally.
Do we really need to put her through major surgery or should we do the diet, and wait and see?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Calcium oxylate crystals are much more difficult to treat than struvite crystals. Is your vet sure that the crystals are calcium oxylate? What was the ph of his urine? Surgery is usually the way to go for these type of crystals; the food may prevent more from forming. It contains salt which is supposed to make your dog drink more water. But it also helps produce neutral urine. Here's a link with some info: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=662

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isn't 100% sure, we are making some assumptions based upon the urinalysis. Given the presence of calcium oxalate crystals in the urine, he would recommend the removal of this stone and send it to get analyzed.
Our dog is female and I understand that it's rare for female to get this type of stone, and given that she shows no other symptoms, we wondered if a royal canin urinary S/O diet and waiting was a wise choice.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would join K9KidneyDiet, the yahoo group. Lots of memebers deal with this problem. B-Naturals has an article on bladder stones in the newsletter section. I don't know that a stone causing no trouble needs removal but if she is getting infections that IS trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.