Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The saga of Miss Calamity Jane, aka Miss Googly Eyes and/or Jane! Put that down!

If it weren't for bad luck, well... she was one of two surviving feral kittens from across the road, and was the more feral one, didn't want to be touched although she'd come to be fed. Couldn't find her one morning, and then heard a cat meowing. She's climbed into the dogs' yard and wound up nearly 24 ft off the ground in a tree by the front gate. Put the dogs up, got out the ladder, climbed up as far as possible, and she moved out of reach. Kept the dogs put up, to see if she'd come down by herself - no dice. Thought maybe she'd come down overnight when it was dark and quiet. Nope.

At 4am the next morning, tried the ladder again (Sis put on a winter coat, extended the leveling legs to maximum height) and was able to grab Jane. Sis climbed down, handed Jane to me and I put her over the fence. Jane immediately ran down to a tree outside the fence and went up that one, although not as high. Went to get her out of that tree, she ran down, took off down the fence line again and we found her back in the dogs' yard, up another tree. Sis lugged the ladder over, got Jane out of that tree, and this time, I stayed on the outside of the fence and with a hand on her scruff and a hand under her bottom, walked her back across the road to the area where we usually fed the cats. Put her down, and her tail went up as she strolled over to say hi to her sister like she hadn't just spent 36 hours in a tree.

A couple of months later, she came down with a respiratory illness, and we couldn't get hold of her until she was too sick to move. Off to the vet, then locked in the bathroom with a course of antibiotics. As she got better, she seemed to assimilate pretty well to us and being in a house, so Sis thought maybe we could make her a house cat. Off to the vet again, to get shots and be spayed. Back in the bathroom, and before the stitches could come out, she came down with a bladder infection. Another week of antibiotics and she was finally ready to join the rest of the household.

A week later, Sis called the cats to come eat and Jane didn't show up. Heard something thumping around in the basement, and it was Jane. She couldn't navigate the steps, kept falling over when she tried to walk, couldn't keep her eyes focused on one thing, etc. Back to the vet, and found she had vestibular disease. Good news, it can be treated with antibiotics, bad news, there could be residual effects (problems with balance, etc). The residual effects were a bad sense of balance, she could turn to the left, would fall over when turning to the right, would go splat on the floor when jumping off something, her head is always tilted to the side, and she seems to have become something of a kleptomaniac.

The balance has improved slowly, she can turn quickly now without falling over and jump off the furniture without collapsing, but the head is still tilted and she is a thief. She'll grab anything she can find (nail clippers, pens, pencils, scissors, thumb drives, headphones, the dogs' toys, etc). She has also tried to snatch my sister's reading glasses... while Sis is still wearing them. She's cute, but she is a hot mess! Lol!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's a hoot. Part of her pre-bedtime zoomies includes racing to the entrance of the kitchen and seeing how far she can slide on the linoleum. I think she likes the sound of her claws scraping along the floor. Then she spins her wheels racing out of the kitchen to circle the house and do it again.
Have I mentioned she loves Michaela? Runs to see her every time we come in from a walk, and lets Michaela wash and groom her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts