Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a sheltie puppy (Jake the Dog) on the way in another 2+ weeks. Neither the wife nor I have had a dog and are in the process of getting the supplies in order.

In looking at cages, we would like to get an adult-sized cage with the understanding that we can block off a portion inside so that it is not too big for him. As he grows, we can open up more and more as necessary.

Does anyone have recommendations for a size? We have seen 26" cages recommended for this size of dog.

Also, what are the thoughts on soft vs hard-sided cages? We are leaning towards soft with the understanding that we will have to watch for chewing. Our thoughts were that a soft cage would be easier to get in and out of our vehicle, up the stairs, etc.

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I love the fold up wire cage. I've got a Beetle and I can easily get it in my back seat because I can fold it up, slide it in the car and easily unfold it in the car before loading the dog.

As for size, ideally you want something that is big enough for the dog to stretch out in, stand up and turn around but nothing more. You might google for how long the average border collie gets, tack on 3-4 inches and you're probably in the ballpark.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I love the fold up wire cage. I've got a Beetle and I can easily get it in my back seat because I can fold it up, slide it in the car and easily unfold it in the car before loading the dog.

As for size, ideally you want something that is big enough for the dog to stretch out in, stand up and turn around but nothing more. You might google for how long the average border collie gets, tack on 3-4 inches and you're probably in the ballpark.
Um, you realize that shelties are SMALLER than BCs, right? :)

It depends on how big your pup is, but I'd imagine a size 'medium' would fit MOST shelties. (I know shelties everywhere from 12.5" (runt from the offspring of two champions!) to a dog that was 21"!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

It depends on how big your pup is, but I'd imagine a size 'medium' would fit MOST shelties. (I know shelties everywhere from 12.5" (runt from the offspring of two champions!) to a dog that was 21"!
Bah. I read the wrong breed in the original post.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts

Heh, I have two shelties. Katie is 14", Tucker is a blue merle, 20" & 34lbs, he's a big boy!
For NHAnimator, I tried to find a way to send you a message but I can't find one, I'm in Gilford NH! (if that's what the NH stands for in your name)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I made the mistake of buying the cage too small. He kept growing and growing and I now am using his 3rd cage. I used the metal, and the 2 door type are useful. Depends which way you park it in the room, so it will always work no matter hows it turned. Mine now 2 yrs and still loves his cage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Still a couple of weeks before we get Jake.

We are kind of zeroing in on the Midwest iCrate 1630DD. Its dimensions are 30"L x 21"W x 24"H, has the double doors, and folds down. Seems as though the 24" height should accommodate even a larger sheltie. They also have a 27" height model as well?

InkedMarie: If you click on my name on the left, you can send me a private message that way. Yes, I'm in NH.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm often surprised by how small a space a dog can fit in. My cocker spaniel had a rawhide in his crate that my basset decided he wanted. Now my cocker's crate is pretty small. It's about 20x12x18 or somewhere along those lines. My basset is about 55 lbs and uses the 30x21x24 or thereabouts size crate. Somehow my basset not only got into the crate, but was able to get the rawhide (which is about 6-8 inches long) in his mouth, turn around and walk out. I was shocked. I never thought he would fit in there.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Still a couple of weeks before we get Jake.

InkedMarie: If you click on my name on the left, you can send me a private message that way. Yes, I'm in NH.

Thanks again,
John
John,
For some reason, your name doesn't give a link for private messages (I checked a couple other names, myself included and they're there). I'd love to find out where you are and where your dog is coming from, you're welcome to private message me and i'll give you my email

1 - 9 of 9 Posts