Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My closest neighbor and us are friends, mostly because we are neighbors, other wise we view almost everything differently, and most likely would never have anything to do with one another, (just for back ground).

One of their dear friends came to visit from out of state to deliver two and I must say two very attractive nine week old, yorkies, to Some people in Wyoming, not too far from us. This was their first litter and they were asking a price that really shocked me, $250 each. I played with the pups in the neighbors yard, and noticed they had tight tummys, I alway though puppies at that age should have slightly plump tummys. So I asked if they had their first deworming and the reply was they had a clean area where they were born, and could not possibly have worms!

OK, the only point I want to make here, is why BYB will alway be around, I thought yorkies go for 1K - 2.5K. And the people that are buying them know as much as the BYB knows, the price was unbeatable, and I hate to say it but they are the in majority of people in this country. So I hope the yorkies go to a good home!? I am sure the BYB was also shocked how fast the litter sold , think they might have another breeding session? 6 X $250 = $$$

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I would say it's practically a lock that they'll have another litter or two or three or....and they won't be $250 next time around.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm sure they will have another litter. And, sadly, I rather hope that the next time they aren't so lucky and have to deal with some expensive emergency that can happen, particularly when you are ignorant of the potential of something bad happening (especially to certain breeds such as most Toy breeds).

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that there will always be BYB's of puppies and kittens... espeically the "popular" breeds. The ignorant will always exist and they will always buy. Some BYB's may become Puppy Mills, others may become responsible breeders and most will do it for awhile and then stop because they will have one problem or another or they just won't like dealing with the mess (Oh yeah.. puppies can trash a place real fast LOL).

While I really do not believe we will ever be rid of the BYBB, I have also come to the conclusion that I won't be supporting them.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that there will always be BYB's of puppies and kittens... espeically the "popular" breeds. The ignorant will always exist and they will always buy. Some BYB's may become Puppy Mills, others may become responsible breeders and most will do it for awhile and then stop because they will have one problem or another or they just won't like dealing with the mess (Oh yeah.. puppies can trash a place real fast LOL).

While I really do not believe we will ever be rid of the BYBB, I have also come to the conclusion that I won't be supporting them.
There will always be BYBs because by definition responsible breeders will be the top 5 or so percent of breeders no matter how much the overall state of purebred breeding improves.

If every buyer of purebred puppies tried to buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, only 1 in 20 would be successful. Does that make the other 19 ignorant?

The most important thing resposible breeders can do is move the avarage.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, If some one always wanted a yorkie, but could not afford the high price tag, I am sure they would jump on the opportunity to own one.

Oh Elana, on another thread you cleared up the same question I had, but was not brave enought to ask. Hooray for you, about dragoons?? Now I know, so when are you going to get some eggs, and pet dragoon, I will pop your eggs for you so they will hatch ASAP! lol Whats this world coming to:D Wonder if you can get a virus with these eggs??:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Alas Brave Sir, I never partook of the dragon thing. Dial up at home... but I do click eggs for others! :D

It is easy to have courage on an internet forum. What no one knows is if the poster has the same courage in person.

There is also a difference between courage and bullying tho on the 'Net they often get confused. In reality the bully is a coward. I hate cowards.

..and I don't buy from BYB's. My choice. My decision.

I would like to have a real dragon for a pet, but only if they can be controlled in the flame throwing department. Due to temperment issues I would need a responsible breeder to get one from. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
*sigh*

We had neighbors like that growing up. It's impossible to talk sense into them, and I'm a huge advocate of keeping inter-neighbor relations friendly, even though there are times when you have to bite your tongue.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I hope they had their shots because like worms if you have the rabies it doesn't matter where you live or where you where born.:mad:
Puppies don't get rabies vaccine until they're at least 4 months old, so most of the time the pups have gone to their new families by then......young puppies very definitely need their Parvo and Distemper shots, though.

I can't believe they didn't even de-worm the pups---not even OTC de-wormer! I'm not against all "BYBs"; like Kasey said, they're pretty much necessary. I only want to see a "better BYB", and anyone who doesn't even de-worm the pups certainly can't be called "better" by any stretch of the imagination.

I also agree that their next litter won't be going for $250. Most of the BYB Yorkies I see around here go for $400-$600.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When shelters promote the fact that X% of their dogs are purebred so why buy from a breeder what they don't say is that *many* purebreds given up at adolescence were either puppy mill or BYB spawn.

The shelters are being disingenuous. They know that family, hobbyist, yes many who show conformation, breeders will only let their dogs out to people they are pretty sure will get the dog back to them (at the breeder's expense) if that is the only option. For the most part those small "responsible" breeders dogs don't end up in shelters and for all of their inbreeding and infirmities those dogs cost the breeders a fortune. BYBs don't give that warranty.

Consider the OPs acquaintance sold a puppy for $250 when the going pet shop price is $1500. A puppy mill might get $50 for a dog that was "healthy" when he rode off the lot. So $250 is pretty good if you've spent nothing on vet expenses.

I got a cocker from the pound who I think was born in a backyard and he was a lovable mess from day one. We eventually sorted out his behavioral problems and he got chronically ill for two years. A lot about Dylan was dubious but I'd bet two "cockers" conceived him.

There were a couple of weeks in 2004 when if you googled on cocker spaniel, the first image hit at the top was this little picture below. I about to burst. He was so backyard. Had too much personality and confidence going to be puppy mill but oy was he an unhealthy handful.

Somebody has to adopt those dogs but I don't think I'd do it again. Our next dog was a recently picked up stray mutt who spent a few days in the Mayberry pound and was in rescue fewer before we got him home. I'd have to train him to bite.:p

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts