Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching (just for the fun of it) in our paper to see what type of dogs were for sale. Saw this ad. The phone number sounds familiar. I think they sell a lot of dogs. Anyway, I see that the dogs are AKC registered and such but do most of these places have several dogs for sale at the same time?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
No way to know without seeing the ad....

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Yeah, lots of people advertise in my paper saying "AKC Registered" but it doesn't mean crap one way or the other..

·
Registered
976 Posts
www.uphoffpets.com

BYB. They don't mention health testing. No pictures of the parents. They breed cavapoos and cockapoos and labradoodles. NO reputable breeder is going to breed mixes. Being a RN does not qualify you to breed dogs. And "years of raising healthy hogs" does not in any way "lend much to raising healthy dogs".

It is also interesting that they "are pleased to show you some of the adult dogs we use for breeding."

All the "country air" in the world can't make up for an irresponsible breeder like this.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sorry I just need to clarify. This doesn't hold true for working dog breeders. As breed doesn't matter in a strictly ranch or hunting dog.
This is very true. Although I still believe even if your breeding working dogs you should do it for bettering the breed. Too many mixes in shelters already. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
www.uphoffpets.com

BYB. They don't mention health testing. No pictures of the parents. They breed cavapoos and cockapoos and labradoodles. NO reputable breeder is going to breed mixes. Being a RN does not qualify you to breed dogs. And "years of raising healthy hogs" does not in any way "lend much to raising healthy dogs".

It is also interesting that they "are pleased to show you some of the adult dogs we use for breeding."

All the "country air" in the world can't make up for an irresponsible breeder like this.
Yup i agree

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is very true. Although I still believe even if your breeding working dogs you should do it for bettering the breed. Too many mixes in shelters already. Just my opinion.
When i lived on the sheep farm we bred working dogs, we didn't much breed for conformation or correctness, just as long as they were light and had four legs and a head. We mostly bred for working smarts, and showing a high work drive. we usually cross australian kelpie with border collie. those dogs never gave in, work all day and only stopped because you made them.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
When i lived on the sheep farm we bred working dogs, we didn't much breed for conformation or correctness, just as long as they were light and had four legs and a head. We mostly bred for working smarts, and showing a high work drive. we usually cross australian kelpie with border collie. those dogs never gave in, work all day and only stopped because you made them.
Yep, I can relate. My sister and her husband manage a ranch in CO and their working dog is a Border Collie Blue Heeler mix who works all day and then wants to play afterwards.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
www.uphoffpets.com

I AGREE!!!! And by saying they are registered with any kennel club doesn't mean anything - most kennels clubs will register just about anything (whether it's from a reputable breeder or not!)

Second, you don't know what they have... even if they send you pictures of a "champion"! That pictures could have been copied off of another website... if you can't go and look at the parents in person, I would strongly advice against buying a puppy from them!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Definitely BYB, very possibly puppymill. Run don't walk away from this place.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am not looking for another dog. I just saw a couple of the ads in the paper and got to wondering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts