Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is is a reply someone got after asking about a litter of puppies in GA like 45 min from where we live. I'm pretty sure this is one of those scams where you send the money over seas then never get your puppy.

Hi Dear,
thanks for the interest. I am having a male and two females i am located in west island of Cameroon the puppies were owned by my late grand Mum and i was sent here in Cameroon for a research project which is going to last for 3 years . so i came with them here in Cameroon but the bad climatic condition here and also the nature of my job does not permit me to take good care of them that's why i want to send them back to their home land. to a loving home where they will be spoiled with all their needs and treated with love .I will be willing to give any of them out to your family Okay but you will have to promise to take good care of him or her and also send his or her monthly pictures to me so that i can see how they are doing in their new home Okay. they are 12weeks old and are AKC registered, they are also current with all their shot and are well socialized.they love playing with children and other pets and also some toys. But before
we proceed, are you a breeder...............?
do you have kids.....................................?
Are they friendly with pets...................?
tell me a brief about your environment.............?
do you have a vet around your location.................................?
can i have your mobile hand phone number so that i can text you............................................................................................??
What will be your reaction if in case they destroy some thing worth 120$.................. ?
Sorry for all the questions Okay i just want to make sure that my babies have a good and caring home were ever they may be Okay. i will give any of them to you for 180$ each Okay,since you ill only pay for the change of ownership document bearing your full names address and you will have them home. me.my sister and i will be responsible for the shipping fee so you got nothing to worry about Okay, All we are asking you to pay is 180$ for the change of ownership papers from my names to yours Okay, this means that you are new owner of the dog and you will have him/her deliver to your house Okay.Like i said earlier you don't have to worry about the transportation fee because it's our responsibility to pay for the shipping fee to your home.
Thank your time and God bless you
I will be waiting to read from you again

This sound iffy to anyone else?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah that is the oldest scam in the book.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I REALLY can't beleive that still works. I thought everyone knew you need to see the dog before you buy it. But I gues not since this is still going on. I know a lot of BYB are doing the whole "we just a puppy and just don't have time for it" thing know so people don't think they are buying from breeders.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I don't know the statistics, but I know it gets quite a few people every year. Mainly those too impulsive and impatient to wait, those that don't think before they act and then whine when they get had. Lots of people don't get that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I could poke a lot of holes in the story, the whole Camaroon thing notwithstanding (never send money to Africa unless it's someone you know. Just don't). . .at 12 weeks, the pups couldn't have "all" their shots. You can't put a pup younger than 8 weeks on an airplane, so just how long was she supposed to have had them? So, pups are born, Grandma dies, grandkid gets sent to Camaroon and brings the puppies, grandkid decides the weather is bad and puppies must go back . . .all in 12 weeks? That's an eventful 3 months. Also, the letter was clearly not written by an American English speaker, so if this person just got sent to Camaroon, it sure didn't take long before they forgot where to put the dollar sign. It costs several hundred dollars (at least) to transport a dog overseas, so they'd go broke getting them here. People concerned with getting money "for the transfer papers" aren't going to cough up a few thousand to ship puppies across the world. And I don't think it costs $180 to transfer AKC papers. I wonder why they chose $180 anyway? If you're going to scam people, at least make it worthwhile.

But, you know, it's amazing (and sad) how many people fall for those kinds of things. A girl I know received a similar e-mail when responding to a "free puppy" ad, and I actually think she would have sent the money if she had any.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
When I was looking for a puppy I got back at least ten(not an exaggeration) of those emails a day. I even got called some very rude names by one person after emailing them back telling them to never email me again because I knew they were a scam from the previous email.

They still get quite a few people, sadly.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hi Dear,
thanks for the interest. I am having a male and two females i am located in west island of Cameroon the puppies were owned by my late grand Mum and i was sent here in Cameroon for a research project which is going to last for 3 years . so i came with them here in Cameroon but the bad climatic condition here and also the nature of my job does not permit me to take good care of them that's why i want to send them back to their home land.

If this is how you write, I don't want to read your research report.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Okay I dont think this is legit Okay? Okay it sux that there are such scumbags taking space on our beautiful plant Okay?
It's not legit at all. The scams have been going on for awhile. I guess I deleted all of mine because I was so disgusted :(.

Anyway. I literally was getting back 10 emails a day about Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky puppies I inquired about adopting. They were all poorly written and all of them basically said the same thing.

They are identical to the OPs email but the stories always change.

They start off giving some sob story; "..My daughter died in a terrible accident and I was left with her 10 week old puppy and she reminds me so much of my daughter and I can't bear to take care of the puppy anymore and I just want her to be placed in a good home..." this story was used on me by a guy in Utah. He actually never said that he was planning on leaving or had be relocated. But when I told him I didn't feel safe flying a puppy and that we would gladly come out there to pick her up he said that he didn't feel I was "qualified" to travel a puppy properly that long of a distance and didn't feel that I would have the right equipment. I promptly told him I had no interest.

and then they'll send you pictures of puppies that you can pretty much find anywhere on the internet. :(

Anytime you -ever- see "Cameroon" in an email about a puppy just delete it. Or anytime they say something about shipping unless you're absolutely positive it's from a reputable breeder. Basically you'll send them your money and you'll never get a puppy and you can't do anything to get your money back. :(

There are some really, -really- sick people in the world.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
And I don't think it costs $180 to transfer AKC papers. I wonder why they chose $180 anyway? If you're going to scam people, at least make it worthwhile.
Basically $180 isn't thought of as expensive. And anyone who is buying a puppy impulsively isn't going to second guess getting a puppy for dirt cheap. $180 adds up if you get quite a few people with the scam over and over and over again.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basically $180 isn't thought of as expensive. And anyone who is buying a puppy impulsively isn't going to second guess getting a puppy for dirt cheap. $180 adds up if you get quite a few people with the scam over and over and over again.
That is sooooo true. Anytime I look around at puppy ads there are TONS of them for $100-$180. And I know a lot of people that always ask me why i'm willing to pay $2000 for a puppy when there are so many for under $200. I get how the local or near by states people get you, but the over seas stuff is just crazy. And then there's the "Oh this is ment to be, I just happen to be bringing a puppy to someone else in your state this weekend. I can just meet you too". Come on, how likely is it that they are really driving 3 states over and just happen to end up a few hours away from you? You will be getting a poorly bred puppy no matter how much you pay for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts