Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned a few times about my friend whose mom breeds boxers. She bred her female to a gorgeous stud last summer and had very pretty pups, 4 fawn and 4 white. One is deaf and one has serious developmental issues. They kept a female pup to breed and a male to use as a stud for other dogs.

Well, I just heard that Hannah (mom) may be pregnant again. It appears that Bubba Bear, her son, got to her while she was in heat. She is now getting chubby and eating a lot, like she did last year when she was pregnant.

This is why I advise the general public to get their dogs fixed. Some responsible smart people can handle intact dogs with no problems, but others, even "breeders" can't make it work. I just hope that if she is pregnant, the puppies do not have the issues that showed up in Hannah's last litter in Bubba's sisters.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Chances are they will...an inbred litter, while not a GUARANTEE that bad things will happen, will certainly increase the likelihood, especially if "bad things" have already been expressed (such as the deaf puppy). In/linebreeding can enhance good traits, but it also compounds bad traits....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that inbreeding is not as big a deal in animals as everyone thinks it is (Hannah's father is also her grandfather and she is fine), but I am just nervous because of the past issues. I am of the opinion that if you are going to breed dogs they should be perfect examples of the breed. Hannah is not. Bubba is not. Hannah's last litter had 2 special needs puppies. And they had trouble getting rid of the puppies (my favorite just went to his new home yesterday, the pups were born in June). They say they are going to spay Hannah after one more litter after this one. And they might get Bubba fixed. But they are definitely breeding Hannah's daughter, Molly. I asked if there was any chance that Bubba had gotten to Molly. They said no, she hasn't gone into heat yet. Thank God.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If Hannah's last litter had special needs puppies, shouldn't Hannah have been spayed if the breeder was a "responsible" one? And did they keep these special pups? Or give them away to good homes? Or did they sell them at a "discount"?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I said. They want her to have one more litter after this one. Nonsense. They are not responsible. She sold the deaf one to her son's girlfriend. They did not know she was deaf at the time (she was like 4 months old, so I am not sure how they did not notice that she could not hear...). The other one I believe they gave away. She had some real issues, trouble feeding, respiratory problems and she was by far the "runt." We were not even sure she was going to make it. Her new home is fantastic, they have time and money to take care of her and they have experience with special needs dogs.

I have some real issues with their breeding practices. Hannah is not even a very good example of the breed (she has a tiny head and some other conformational issues, I am no boxer expert but I have seen way better dogs as far as the standard goes). And she had trouble getting pregnant and had false pregnancies, irregular heat cycles and crazy progesterone levels. I really do not think they need to breed her or her puppies, but it has been a dream of this lady's for 20 years. There is no talking her out of it (I drop hints about getting their dogs fixed all the time when I am around her son).

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
IMO it don't look too promising....here we have Hannah, who is from an inbreeding, that throws a litter of not so good pups and is bred by her son from that litter.....yeah....

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Doesn't sound good at all. Both parents are severely inbred on the same dog, plus the parents are mother/son. There are obviously health problems in the line. It's not guaranteed there will be issues, but I'd be surprised if you didn't see the same sort of issues you did in the first litter.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention if there is a brindle pup in this litter they are going to keep it. They kept 2 from the last litter. And they have mom and another (neutered) male. You are only allowed to have 5 dogs in our city, so if they keep one they will be at their max. These people exhaust me. The dogs they have are not even very well trained. They run the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts