Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I don't use any type of pesticide treatment on Muggsy (Frontline, etc.) as we are both cancer survivors. I have a system in place that works just fine for fleas.
I use Ark Naturals or Only Natural Pet herbal sprays on Muggsy, but I don't know that they do much to repel ticks. I try to keep him out of areas where they are an issue, but lately we have found a fun lake trail to walk & I found a tick on me (bleah!). Neither of us had any repellent on that day. I use Buzz Away for myself as I am one of those mosquito magnet people (which my friends appreciate as the mosquitos are so busy biting me they leave everyone else alone ;) ) & it works great ....though it smells gross :).... I was wondering if I could use a bit on Muggsy also. Has anyone ever used this product on their dog? It doesn't say don't use it on pets.
Here are the ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil (3.0%), Geranium Maculatum (Geranium) Oil (6.0%), Castor (Ricinus Communis) Oil (8.0%), Cedarwood (Juniperous Viginiana) Oil (1.5%), Citronella Oil (1.0%), Peppermint Oil (0.5%), Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus) Oil (0.25%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water (Purified), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Lecithin, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Wintergreen Oil (patented base bite blocker formula
Thanks for any responses!!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
There is a Sentry brand "Natural Defense" flea and tick spray and shampoo that seems to work pretty well. I've used the shampoo and basically the repellent effect lasts as long as the scent does (so, 5-6 days) and the ingredient list is fairly simple and uses essential oils. Smells pretty good I think.

Ticks take a few hours plus of feeding before they transmit disease, so if you do a tick check daily and after tick-heavy areas, you don't have to have 100% on the repellent part of things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts