Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We've been ordering our dog food online for the past few months. We get a 30lb bag which usually lasts our guy about a month. We've been pretty good about noticing when it's time to place another order, as we have to consider it'll take a few days to arrive.
I thought about just buying 2-3 bags at a time, but wasn't sure if they would go bad/stale? I've read that once a bag of kibble is opened, it should be used within 6 weeks. But what about an un-opened bag?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I seem to remember dog food having a shelf life of 6 months way back when for what was currently on the shelf with recent processed date to rotate off the shelf date. ,,,, since I am supplementing with dry kibble I did check the bag and they now have a year shelf life stamp date on them... I buy 4 bags at a time and am comfortable ordering every 2 months with no problems.. Main reason I stay away from the fish protein dog foods.. they always look so greasy it bothers me (on a personal preference level) that I can't tell if they are rancid or not in comparison of other protein dog food staying dry..

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Most of the time when I buy food it has a 10 month to 1 year out freshness date. The main concern would be buying a 50 lb bag and it sitting opened for months. I buy 2 foods for my dog - 1 comes in 20 lb bag and the other comes in a 26 lb bag. 20 lbs lasts about 80 days and 26 lbs lasts about 106 days ... I get concerned about the length of time it sits opened but I purchased 2 air tight containers - put the big bag in one with it's original packaging and put about 12 cups of food in the other smaller container so I'm not opening up the larger and exposing it to air all the time.

The other thing you can do is "rotate" food. Buy the initial 2 or 3 bags and when you get to the last bag buy 2 or 3 more. This way you have a bag full of food and it gives it time to arrive. I use Chewy and it's usually at my door next day but as I'm scooping out the last food (that lasts a few weeks) I am ordering more.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dry dog food has an expiration date anywhere from 12-18 months from time of manufacture. So if it's something that sits on the warehouse shelf for a while, there may be a dent in that time span. If you know that you've been getting bags with expiration dates that are way beyond the time that it will take you to use up 2-3 bags then you should be fine.

Rule of thumb is is purchase a bag size that will be used up within 3 months once opened. Dog Person has the right idea about putting a portion of the bag in a container that is used daily and the rest in a container that only gets opened when the smaller container needs to be filled. Less exposure to the air, the better.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
You might also consider some auto-ship companies. Chewy.com I believe does auto-ship, so they automatically send you a bag of food every (insert time period here). I can't use it because I'm in Canada and they don't ship here, but it might be something worth looking into - then you won't have to worry about expiration dates or storing a bunch of bags of food.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know this is an old post, but nothing much happening lately so I'm reading all of the old posts from the last page back lol

Here is the reply I got from the company when i emailed asking this question:

There should be at least a year’s expiry date on the bag. However, once the bag is open, we recommend using the bag within 3 to 4 months and to keep in a dry place below 50% humidity and cool under 18 degrees (celcius) and the food will last longer.

Also, storage containers are better than using the bag and the food can stay fresher for longer.

I do as many here do, and transfer a weeks worth of food in one container, and store the bulk of it in another airtight food container. My dog gets 1/3 of a cup twice a day, the rest of his food is raw/homemade. The smallest bag i can get of his food is 3kgs (6lbs) and will last for flippan ages!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts